CRUCIVERB.COM

User

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Navigate

Resources

Donations

You can help support this site by making a small donation using either a PayPal account:

or with a major credit card such as:

Click here for details.

Author Topic: Cluing conventions for answers with "a" or "the"?  (Read 4340 times)

chd

Cluing conventions for answers with "a" or "the"?
« on: March 05, 2017, 01:57:00 PM »
Hi,

I'm brand new at this, and trying to do things by the book if possible. What's the convention for cluing answers that include "a" or "the"? I try to avoid them in the first place, but that needs more practice too.

DEN might be "a place to find cubs", but would you clue ADEN differently?

I also have THERAP as "___ sheet; police record" -- I don't really like it in general, but is it acceptable in terms of form?

Thanks!

Glenn9999

• Common Solver, New Constructor
Re: Cluing conventions for answers with "a" or "the"?
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2017, 07:57:22 AM »
Usually, if it's a superfluous article, it's a bad idea.  In other words, if the word could stand alone it's better to do it that way.  Especially when you consider most editors policies on partial phrases...

As for ADEN, you could refer to the port city of Yemen as many others have done.  THERAP as you have described is a bad idea in general, though it has been clued as [some can beat it].

Just my thoughts, though...YMMV.

chd

Re: Cluing conventions for answers with "a" or "the"?
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2017, 11:53:25 AM »
Thanks -- yeah, I agree it's not very good. I'll try to avoid that sort of thing if possible. Right now I'm just building a few practice puzzles to get a feel for what works and what doesn't, and what sorts of things turn into problems as I get farther into it.

Thanks!