CRUCIVERB.COM

User

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Navigate

Resources

Donations

You can help support this site by making a small donation using either a PayPal account:

or with a major credit card such as:

Click here for details.

Author Topic: Word counts / limits  (Read 4900 times)

Wallokes

Word counts / limits
« on: January 20, 2017, 11:05:16 AM »
Are there any rules of thumb on the number of 3 letter words that a puzzle should have?  For example, if I have a 76 word puzzle should I try to limit it to no more than 20 or 24 3-letter words?

4wd

Re: Word counts / limits
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2017, 12:42:00 PM »
Try to keep your 3 letter entries down to about 20-25% of your grid, though if you go a little over that
its fine. I find some grid designs wont work unless you go a little over. Reason being there aren't much
cluing options for threes, longer entries have more possibilities.

« Last Edit: January 20, 2017, 01:20:05 PM by 4wd »

Wallokes

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2017, 01:07:18 PM »
Thanks, that's helpful!

4wd

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2017, 01:18:01 PM »
no problem :)

mmcbs

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2017, 04:44:11 PM »
There's one editor (John Samson who edits the Simon & Schuster MEGA Crossword Puzzle books) that has a strict limit of 12 3-letter words in a 15x15 grid. That works out to about 15% if you have 78 words. This constrains the theme entry lengths somewhat, but as pointed out earlier, the 3-letter words are limited, so that's the reason for it. For most markets I think the quality and variety of the incidental fill overall is more important than the 3-letter word count. But clearly, when choosing a grid to fit your theme entries, selecting one with fewer 3's would be advisable.
Mark McClain
Salem, Virginia, USA
https://crosswordsbymark.wordpress.com/