CRUCIVERB.COM

User

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Navigate

Resources

Donations

You can help support this site by making a small donation using either a PayPal account:

or with a major credit card such as:

Click here for details.

Author Topic: With "the"  (Read 4965 times)

jrob

With "the"
« on: November 09, 2016, 11:31:55 PM »
I have a possible theme with several answers that begin with "the". Can a puzzle have a number of answers with "the" or should/can it have a lot of clues that have the qualifier "with the" ?
Thoughts?

mmcbs

Re: With "the"
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2016, 05:58:46 AM »
In my opinion, having THE as part of the answers is preferable to "With 'The'" in the clues. If all of your themers start with THE, it may work, though some might not like all the repeated words. However, if some start with THE and others don't, it might start to look unbalanced. If you would like to share this and get some more detailed comments, feel free to message me.
Mark McClain
Salem, Virginia, USA
https://crosswordsbymark.wordpress.com/

Glenn9999

• Common Solver, New Constructor
Re: With "the"
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2016, 12:42:32 PM »
Can a puzzle have a number of answers with "the" or should/can it have a lot of clues that have the qualifier "with the" ?

Speaking as (primarily) a solver, uniformity and clarity is always good.  The problem you're going to have (imagining this grid) is whether the inclusion of "the" in either way is both interesting and logically necessary.  Of course, repetition of such a word would definitely dictate theme.  So I would say to be careful.