CRUCIVERB.COM

User

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Navigate

Resources

Donations

You can help support this site by making a small donation using either a PayPal account:

or with a major credit card such as:

Click here for details.

Author Topic: July 31: The art of the crossword  (Read 5801 times)

Thomps2525

July 31: The art of the crossword
« on: July 31, 2016, 01:32:26 PM »
Art Nouveau is a style of art, architecture and decorative arts which emphasizes curved lines that harmonize with the natural environment. Art Nouveau was most popular in the years 1890 to 1910. And Art Nouveau, which means "new art" in French, is properly pronounced "är noo-vō" but is often mispronounced "art noo-vō" -- and that brings us to today's crossword by Jake Braun. It's titled "Art Nouveau" and includes eight words and phrases which are altered by the addition of ART:

Lewd weasel relative? DIRTYOLDMARTEN
Prefer not to serve the drinks? MINDBARTENDING
Apt wear when drinking gin cocktails? MARTINISKIRT
Special area for booting up again? RESTARTROOM
iPad owners' gatherings? APPLEPARTIES
Garb for the Scottish seaside? BEACHTARTAN
Group that controls film cartoons? ANIMATIONCARTEL.
Patterns for moving supplies?  CARTONTEMPLATES

"French king" is ROI, which is not used in English. "French friend's address" is MONAMI, which is not used in English. "Civic duty, perhaps" is AUTOLOAN. "Honda Civic," get it? A very clever clue. "Promising, as mine walls" is VEINY. The word means "Full of or exhibiting veins; veined" and is used in reference to various parts of the body, especially the arms, legs or forehead. I suppose the word can also refer to a mine but I have never heard it used in that context. "When Will ___ Loved?: 1975 hit" is IBE. Yes, Linda Ronstadt had a #2 hit with the song that year but the song was originally a hit for the Everly Brothers. It reached #8 in July 1960.

"Blue text, often" is URL. When referring to words or speech, "blue" means "risqué; suggestive; off-color" but most URLs also appear in blue -- and are usually underlined. URL stands for Uniform Resource Locator, a string of text which is used by web browsers to link to webpages, documents or programs. URLs are more commonly known as "internet addresses." A simple explanation of how URLs work is at the About Tech website, which you can get to by clicking on the, uh, URL:

http://compnetworking.about.com/od/internetaccessbestuses/g/bldef-url.htm