CRUCIVERB.COM

User

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Navigate

Resources

Donations

You can help support this site by making a small donation using either a PayPal account:

or with a major credit card such as:

Click here for details.

Author Topic: The off-color May 6 crossword  (Read 6694 times)

Thomps2525

The off-color May 6 crossword
« on: May 06, 2016, 05:01:21 PM »
C.C. Burnikel thought she was using four homonyms of colors in today's Los Angeles Times crossword. She was wrong. She used only three:

Lost it: BLEWAFUSE
Bonanza star: LORNEGREENE
Entertained the kids, in a way: READALOUD
Cottage site in the Beatles' When I'm Sixty-Four: ISLEOFWIGHT

The puzzle's theme is OFFCOLOR ("Risqué...and what each long answer contains"). Blew and blue are pronounced the same. So are Greene and green. So are read and red. But Wight and white are not homonyms. Some people might pronounce "white" as "wite" but such a pronunciation is incorrect, just as the pronunciation of "temperature" as "tempature" is wrong and the pronunciation of "comfortable" as "cumfterble" is wrong. Common, yes -- but wrong.

Isle of Wight is an unincorportated community in Isle of Wight county in southeast Virginia. Christopher Lawne, an English merchant, established a plantation in the area in 1618 and named it Warrosquoake, a variant spelling of Warraskoyak, a Native American tribe of the Powhatan Confederacy. In 1634, King Charles I of England divided Virginia into eight shires (the British equivalent of counties). The region settled by Lawne and other colonists was named Warrosquoyake Shire -- another variant spelling. In 1637, the shire was renamed Isle of Wight County, after an island off the south coast of England from which many of the Virginia settlers had come.

"Summation symbol, in math" is SIGMA. Sigma is the 18th letter of the Greek alphabet. It is written as Σ (upper case), σ (lower case) and ς (when it is the last letter of a word). The function of the Σ symbol in finite summation is explained at

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Summation

Anyone with an IQ of 35,000 or above might be able to understand the explanation. I certainly couldn't.

"'Ideas Worth Spreading' acronym" is TED. In 1984, architect Richard Wurman organized a TED conference in Monterey, California, to display the latest innovations in technology, entertainment and design (TED). The second conference was held in 1990 and has been held annually since then. In 2000, control of the now-worldwide TED conferences was purchased by Future UK, a British media company owned by Chris Anderson, an Oxford graduate and publisher/entrepeneur. A year later, ownership moved to Anderson's non-profit Sapling Foundation, which has a goal "to foster the spread of great ideas, to provide a platform for the world's smartest thinkers, greatest visionaries and most-inspiring teachers so that millions of people can gain a better understanding of the biggest issues faced by the world, and to help create a better future." There are now several offshoots, including TEDMED, TEDx, TEDxYouth, TED Fellows, TED Women and Ted Salon.

https://www.ted.com/

fggoldston

Re: The off-color May 6 crossword
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2016, 11:40:55 AM »
I enjoyed the puzzle and never had any idea that "Wight" might be pronounced differently.   I am puzzled and intrigued now - HOW is Wight pronounced?

Thomps2525

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2016, 04:03:57 PM »
"Wight" is pronounced "wīt" -- but C.C. Burnikel used the word as a homonym of "white," which it is not. "White" includes an "H" sound.

Some more trivia for you: authors Lewis Carroll and Charles Dickens and poets John Keats, Alfred Tennyson and Henry Wadsworth Longfellow all lived on the Isle of Wight at various times, though none for very long.

fggoldston

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2016, 08:08:31 PM »
That's interesting I don't think I have ever heard it pronounced that way - also don't think I've ever known anyone who's actually been there - hah.  BUT the clue did reference a song in which they pronounced it incorrectly so it could be argued that....  you know ... it is a homonym in this case, so I think we should give Burnikel a pass on this.