CRUCIVERB.COM

User

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Navigate

Resources

Donations

You can help support this site by making a small donation using either a PayPal account:

or with a major credit card such as:

Click here for details.

Author Topic: How do you transfer the cruciverb wordlist to Crossfire on a Mac?  (Read 21589 times)

ashtangaguy

I've asked around and no one has been able to give me a clear answer on this.   Can someone here help?  Thanks!

jeddings

Re: How do you transfer the cruciverb wordlist to Crossfire on a Mac?
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2017, 03:10:39 AM »
  • Preferences (Cmd-,)
  • Dictionary
  • Add
  • Browse for your nyt.txt file
  • Choose where to put it in the list
  • OK

jsm

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2017, 04:35:50 PM »
Hello. I know this is an old thread, but this forum seems to be pretty quiet in any case.

I've tried following the above advice, and when I get to the step of browsing for my word list, it is greyed out. Seems Crossfire only wants to import files with a .dict extension. Any solutions?

(Yes, I have tried changing the extension - Crossfire then throws up an error saying that it can't read the file).

4wd

« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2017, 01:32:37 PM »
Don't have a Mac but think it should be similar to a windows PC, change the file format to .dict then paste them into the Crossfire folder near the default dictionary file.

Open the crossfire app, enter the edit menu, config and under the dictionary tab browse to the saved .dict files.

Mac users feel free to add the relevant equivalents to the edit menu, config etc.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2017, 01:54:50 PM by 4wd »

JennaLP1985

« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2017, 12:50:33 AM »
This doesn't work. Any other ideas? Just spent 40 bucks on the gold membership at cruciverb for nothing if it doesn't. I got it specifically for the word lists. They should tell you its only windows compatible

sgrossman10

« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2017, 12:51:49 PM »
Okay...so bits and pieces of the above instructions are correct...so if this looks somewhat familiar to what hasn't worked in past it's not...and it's worked for me on several occasions (as I often use crossfire and crossword compiler and so am transfering .txt lists like the cruciverb wordlist to .dict files and updating my Crossfire primary dictionary). So here's what works for me:

1) Download the Cruciverb word list as .txt file...save it to your desktop (at least for now, this makes it most accesible for your mac)
2) Right click on your newly created .txt file and select "Get Info", where you see "Name and Extension" you'll also see your file name...replace ".txt" with ".dict" and when prompted be sure to say "Use .dict" and don't use both .txt and .dict. ONLY .dict
3) In Crossfire select the "Crossfire" menu, hit the "Dictionary" tab found in the top center
4) Press "Add" and locate your newly created & modified Cruciverb .dict wordlist
5) If you'd like to make it your primary list be sure to highlight it and select "Make Primary", otherwise position it in your hierarchy of wordlists as you please
6) Press ok at the bottom right of dialog box and allow a sec or two for dictionaries to update.
7) Done! (Hope this works for you)

chickenwire

« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2018, 03:40:03 PM »
Something that just worked for me, from the CrossFire website...

"If you have Gold subscription to the Cruciverb website, CrossFire makes it easy to get the most from its premium word-lists. Just select the default dictionary for now, and later you can choose the "Dictionary/Merge word list into dictionary" menu option, and specify "Use CrossFire score database" when importing the word lists."

It's not through the preferences->add dictionary menu, but it does seem to have worked... Good luck!

i3rookeh

« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2019, 10:24:55 AM »
Just popping on here to say that I just used the instructions from sgrossman10 on a Mac and they worked fine. Thanks for the tips!

stephenbishop

« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2020, 03:16:35 AM »
.dict files are usually just text files, so you can simply edit the extension from .txt to .dict and it should work. There may be other types of .dict files that are more complicated and this would not work, but I did exactly this for my crossfire lists. Make sure you have the proper format in your lists first (word;score), one per line.

KennethDuran

« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2020, 02:26:00 AM »
Hello. I know this is an old thread, but this forum seems to be pretty quiet in any case.

I've tried following the above advice, and when I get to the step of browsing for my word list, it is greyed out. Seems Crossfire only wants to import files with a .dict extension. Any solutions?

(Yes, I have tried changing the extension - Crossfire then throws up an error saying that it can't read the file).

The Macintosh installer said it installed successfully,
but I can't find the app. ...
There's a word in my dictionary that will allow a complete fill,
but CrossFire refuses to use it. ... To change the scores of existing words in the dictionary, select one or more