CRUCIVERB.COM

User

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Navigate

Resources

Donations

You can help support this site by making a small donation using either a PayPal account:

or with a major credit card such as:

Click here for details.

Author Topic: Hanging out with the March 4 crossword  (Read 5529 times)

Thomps2525

Hanging out with the March 4 crossword
« on: March 04, 2016, 05:12:39 PM »
It is purely a coincidence that a crossword filled with animal-related puns appears on the same day that Disney's Zootopia is released to theaters. Tom Pepper and Marcia Brott came up with these:

Hangout for Garfield? KITTYCORNER
Hangout for Tchaikovsky's Odile? SWANDIVE
Hangout for Hyacinth in Fantasia? HIPPOCAMPUS
Hangout for Heckle and Jeckle? CROWBAR
Hangout for Mickey and Minnie? MOUSEPAD

"Crowbar" is a cute pun.....but Heckle and Jeckle are not crows. They are magpies. The mischievous characters were created by animator/producer Paul Terry in 1945. Heckle always spoke with a Brooklyn accent while Jeckle sounded like a refined British gentleman. Heckle and Jeckle appeared in 52 cartoons. Terry's studio, Terrytoons, also created Mighty Mouse, Dinky Duck and Deputy Dawg.

Odile is the black swan in the ballet Swan Lake. "Kittycorner" is an alteration of "catercornered," which meant "four-cornered." Merriam-Webster defines the word as "In a diagonal or oblique position: The house stands kittycorner across the square."  The hippocampus is the portion of the brain which forms, stores and processes memory. The word comes from the Greek word for "seahorse." The curved ridge of the hippocampus supposedly resembles a seahorse. I wouldn't know -- I've never seen a hippocampus. I'm not sure I even want to.

A compilation of Heckle and Jeckle cartoons can be seen on good ol' YouTube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Yvdxk9jxOQ