CRUCIVERB.COM

User

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Navigate

Resources

Donations

You can help support this site by making a small donation using either a PayPal account:

or with a major credit card such as:

Click here for details.

Author Topic: Getting to the heart of the February 14 Crossword  (Read 6016 times)

Thomps2525

Getting to the heart of the February 14 Crossword
« on: February 14, 2016, 02:29:24 PM »
Valentine’s Day originated as a day of feasting to honor two early Christian martyrs in Italy, Saint Valentinus of Rome and Saint Valentinus of Interamna (modern-day Terni). How does overeating honor anyone? Anyway, it was not until the mid-1300s when the day began to be associated with love and romance. And then in 1910 Joyce Hall founded Hallmark Cards in Kansas City and the martyred saints were immediately forgotten. :)

"Cherish the Thought" is the title of today's crossword by Rich Norris and Joyce Michaels Lewis. Thirty-one black squares form the outline of a heart and within it are the phrases ILUVU and BEMYVALENTINE. Nicknames for one's "valentine" are found at the starts of the theme answers:

Innocent: BABEINTHEWOODS
Ingenue's benefactor: SUGARDADDY
Venezuelan wonder: ANGELFALLS
Weasel relative: HONEYBADGER
Offer that can't be refused: SWEETHEARTDEAL
120-year-old candy: TOOTSIEROLL

"Get up" is WAKEN. I disagree. A person can waken and remain in bed. I imagine many people do that, especially when a Valentine's Day falls on a Sunday.

"Craving" is YENNING. Yes, "yen" can be used as a verb. The word dates from 1906 and comes from the Chinese yáhn, which means "a craving." A decade letter, "yen" began to also be used as a verb meaning "to have an intense craving."

"Dutch astronomer who lent his name to a cloud" is OORT. That is also a word used by the Swedish Chef, one of the Muppets, but I digress. Jan Hendrick Oort (1900-92) discovered that the Milky Way rotates and he confirmed and developed the theory of galactic rotation. He was the first astronomer to postulate the existence of an enormous sphere of comets surrounding the solar system. This sphere is known as the Oort Cloud. A picture and brief description can be seen at http://oort.com/

rbe

Re: Getting to the heart of the February 14 Crossword
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2016, 05:53:29 PM »
I liked the heart grid pattern,but it broke Cruciverb's basic rule number four.

"Do not use two-letter words. The minimum word length is three letters".

Thomps2525

Re: Getting to the heart of the February 14 Crossword
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2016, 06:43:55 PM »
I'm guessing another basic rule was broken by the central letter of the vertical phrase ILUVU. There was no other word crossing the U. It was separated by a black square on either side. The square containing the U was unnumbered. It could have been numbered and used "College abbreviation" as a clue and then the crossword would have contained a one-letter word. Would that have been an improvement? Maybe. Maybe not.