CRUCIVERB.COM

User

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Navigate

Resources

Donations

You can help support this site by making a small donation using either a PayPal account:

or with a major credit card such as:

Click here for details.

Author Topic: January 24: A farely good crossword  (Read 5457 times)

Thomps2525

January 24: A farely good crossword
« on: January 24, 2016, 04:15:58 PM »
Today's Los Angeles Times crossword by Fred Piscop is titled "Fare Play" and is filled with puns which use alternate meanings of words referring to cooked food:

Inebriated fare? FRIEDRICE
Illegally taken fare? POACHEDSALMON
Fare constantly questioned? GRILLEDCHEESE
Fare after successful medical treatment? CUREDPORK
Soundly defeated fare? CREAMEDCORN
Fare at the Friars Club? ROASTEDNUTS
Excessively pampered fare? CODDLEDEGGS
Angry fare? STEAMEDMILK

STEAMEDRICE would have been better a better choice than STEAMEDMILK but RICE had already been used in an answer.

"Coddle" means "to treat with extremes or excessive care or kindness; pamper." In cooking, it means "to cook (as eggs) in liquid slowly and gently just below the boiling point." I'm not sure how anyone could cook something "gently." Anyway, the word comes from the Middle English caudel, which derives from the Latin calidus, meaning "warm." Calidus is also the source of the word "cauldron."

The Friars Club, founded in 1904 in New York City, is well-known for its "roasts." Those are banquets at which a famous person, usually an actor or comedian, is subjected to good-natured ridicule by his friends and fellow actors and comedians. From 1947 to 2008, there was also a Friars Club in Los Angeles. It was founded by Milton Berle, Bing Crosby, Jimmy Durante and other celebrities who had moved from New York to Los Angeles in order to be closer to Hollywood, the motion picture industry and the rapidly-growing television industry.

"Appears gradually" is FADESIN. "Fade" means "to lose strength or vitality; to lose freshness or brilliance of color; to sink away; vanish." One might question how an image in a movie could fade in. "In motion pictures, "fade" means "to change gradually in loudness or visibility" and therefore a movie image can fade either in or out.....although "fade in" contradicts the original definition of "fade."

Okay, I'm done now. I'm going to fade out.....although maybe I shouldn't say that. "Fade" comes from the Latin fatuus, which means "foolish; insipid; fatuous" and I would prefer to not be thought of in that way. :)