CRUCIVERB.COM

User

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Navigate

Resources

Donations

You can help support this site by making a small donation using either a PayPal account:

or with a major credit card such as:

Click here for details.

Author Topic: Fri., 12/4 Craig Stowe  (Read 5311 times)

magus

Fri., 12/4 Craig Stowe
« on: December 04, 2015, 10:08:36 AM »
THEME:   the corners of the grid have the names of fictional cats

GOOD ONES:

Diagonal {& theme}   KITTYCORNER   
Leftovers   OTHERS   

BTW:   
"Yoo-Hoo"   HERE I AM [possible, but mostly it's "Hello there" or "Hey"]   

Pebby Lee specialty   TORCH SONG [they were sad love songs named from the expression "burning a torch for" meaning mourning a loss of a lover]   

Pulls a Charmin shenanigan, briefly   TPS [TPS=toilet papers, meaning to deface property with toilet paper, a brand of which is Charmin]   

RATING:    ;D
Three grins = Loved it; Two grins = Enjoyed it; One grin = A bit bland for my taste; One teardrop = Not much fun   
« Last Edit: December 04, 2015, 10:12:24 AM by magus »

Thomps2525

Re: Fri., 12/4 Craig Stowe
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2015, 02:08:11 PM »
Today's crossword has a cute theme but the word "kittycorner" really has nothing to do with cats. The Grammarist.com website explains that "Catty-corner, kitty-corner and cater-cornered all derive from the Middle English catre-corner, literally meaning four-cornered. All three forms are used throughout the English-speaking world. They usually mean positioned diagonally across a four-way intersection but they can work in other contexts relating to one thing being diagonal from another. Most dictionaries recommend cater-cornered but kitty-corner and catty-corner are more common in actual usage. The past-participial forms—i.e., kitty-cornered and catty-cornered—might be more grammatically correct but the uninflected forms are more common."

http://grammarist.com/usage/catty-corner-kitty-corner/