CRUCIVERB.COM

User

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Navigate

Resources

Donations

You can help support this site by making a small donation using either a PayPal account:

or with a major credit card such as:

Click here for details.

Author Topic: Fri., 11/27 Jeffrey Wechsler  (Read 4988 times)

magus

Fri., 11/27 Jeffrey Wechsler
« on: November 27, 2015, 09:11:31 AM »
THEME:   ASS in place of ACE in phrases

GOOD ONES:    
What lawn care products promise?   AMAZING GRASS   [or pot sellers, I suppose]
Work on an ear?   GNAW [ear of corn]   
Once, once   ERST [oldie but goodie]   
Took it's toll?   RANG   

BTW:   
Stand-up fare   GAGS [stand-up comedians, not (hot)DOGS or knishes as I thought because I bought them from street vendors]   

That a swimmer was in 1928 charged 36 cents to swim through the Panama Canal could not have been due to a prorated body weight factor, could it?  Ships weigh tons and tons.   
And, did the swimmer carry money in his bathing suit, or was he, or she, on his honor to make payment once dry?   

Family nickname   GRAN [I don't think so, but maybe:  GRAM or GRANNY for grandma, yes; GRAMPS for grandpa, yes.  I'd go with GRAN TORINO]   

RATING:    ;D ;D
Three grins = Loved it; Two grins = Enjoyed it; One grin = A bit bland for my taste; One teardrop = Not much fun   

Thomps2525

Re: Fri., 11/27 Jeffrey Wechsler
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2015, 03:12:04 PM »
"36 cents to swim through the Panama Canal could not have been due to a prorated body weight factor, could it?"

*Ding-ding-ding-ding-ding!* "We have a winner! Johnny, tell him what he's won!"

The swimmer was Richard Halliburton (1900-1939), an adventurer, lecturer and travel writer. He was the first of several who swam the Panama Canal and, yes, the 36ยข toll was based on his weight of 140 pounds. Here are the details:

http://www.walker1812.com/ElysiumPlayground/wwwroot/halliburton/adventures.htm