CRUCIVERB.COM

User

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Navigate

Resources

Donations

You can help support this site by making a small donation using either a PayPal account:

or with a major credit card such as:

Click here for details.

Author Topic: Thanksgiving 2015, C.C. Burnikel  (Read 4644 times)

magus

Thanksgiving 2015, C.C. Burnikel
« on: November 26, 2015, 09:20:05 AM »
THEME:   first two words of a phrase are opposites  [but it's covert and I suspect most will miss it]

GOOD ONES:     
Cellar dweller?   WINE [not the Orioles]   
Class struggle?  TEST [maybe in mathematics and science as arts classes are a laugh]   
Short stop  PAUSE [not Derek Jeter, shortstop for 20 years]   
No more stars, to astronomers   ANAGRAM ["no more stars" have the exact letters as "astronomers"; but the clue really should have "for" instead of "to"]   
Lots and lots   ACRES [true both ways: ACRES can mean "lots" and be comprised of "lots"]   
"Uh-uh" and "Uh-huh!"  clued by NOPE and YEP, respectuvely; and it fits the theme of opposites.   

BTW:   
Sign appealing to short people?   ATM INSIDE [in the context of money, "short" suggests unable to pay; using an ATM does not mean one is unable to pay or that one uses an ATM because one is unable to pay.   

Big bang cause   TNT [many physicists believe the Big Bang caused the universe; as far as I know, they don't have a theory on what caused the Big Bang]   

RATING:    ;D ;D
Three grins = Loved it; Two grins = Enjoyed it; One grin = A bit bland for my taste; One teardrop = Not much fun   

The rating for a Thanksgiving Day puzzle would be ZERO.  However, it is a desideratum of the Left to eschew American tradition, and in this the LAT is doing its "small" part.   
Happy Thanksgiving, anyway.   

Thomps2525

Re: Thanksgiving 2015, C.C. Burnikel
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2015, 08:56:16 PM »
Yes, the theme answers begin with opposite words: OLDNEWYORK, OUTINFORCE, OFFONATANGENT and LITTLEBIGTOWN (a country music quartet whose hits include Girl Crush, Pontoon, Day Drinking and Bring It On Home).

Those answers reminded me of a funny story. A linguistics professor told his students, "In English, a double negative forms a positive. An example of this is 'I don't have none.' But a double positive can never form a negative." A student in the back of the room said, "Yeah, right." :)