CRUCIVERB.COM

User

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Navigate

Resources

Donations

You can help support this site by making a small donation using either a PayPal account:

or with a major credit card such as:

Click here for details.

Author Topic: Sun., 11/8 Jim Holland  (Read 4831 times)

magus

Sun., 11/8 Jim Holland
« on: November 08, 2015, 09:23:53 AM »
THEME:   short E sound substituted for by A sound in familiar phrases

GOOD ONES:    
"Leave tiny bugs alone"?   DON’T SWAT THE SMALL THINGS   
Moderate building expansion?   LIMITED ADDITION   
Former "formerly"   ERST [oldie but goodie]   
Sketch opening   ETCH-A-   [not comic routine]   
Sound of silence?   SHH   
Introduction to a madam?   I'M ADAM [as in "Madam, I'm Adam"]   

BTW:   
PUT A FATHER IN YOUR CAP took me a second --- it's idiomatic: put someone in = put on someone --- sounds too much like high fashion for this lowlife   

Counts' equals   EARLS [counts are not English and are not part of the peerage; the clue needs "abroad"]   

Word in many music genres   METAL [I must be "out of it" since I know of only one: heavy.  Can there really be many?]   

Bygone blade   SNEE [For me, the highlight of this puzzle is that it also gives us SMEE, which seems to damn with faint praise.]   

RATING: ;D ;D   
Three grins = Loved it; Two grins = Enjoyed it; One grin = A bit bland for my taste; One teardrop = Not much fun   

Thomps2525

Re: Sun., 11/8 Jim Holland
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2015, 09:31:03 PM »
Black Sabbath, Led Zeppelin and Blue Cheer were among the earliest heavy metal bands in the late 1960s. Over the years, there have been several sub-genres of heavy metal: death metal, thrash metal, gothic metal, doom metal, power metal, black metal, sludge metal, glam metal, grunge metal, nu metal and a punk/metal hybrid called metalcore.

Do not---I repeat, do not ask me to explain the differences between all those styles. To me, they're all pretty much the same.

And unlistenable. :)

magus

Re: Sun., 11/8 Jim Holland
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2015, 11:04:09 AM »
Thanks for the info. --- fine example of distinctions without differences.

I would bet listeners of the metal sub-genres would not be able to recognize one from the other since metal is a loud, repetitious cacophony.  The difference is in the costuming of the groups: goth metal would mean the band dresses in grotesque gothic leather, chains, and piercings.  If they changed costumes and played the same (if possible) set, they would be grunge metal dressed like slobs.