CRUCIVERB.COM

User

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Navigate

Resources

Donations

You can help support this site by making a small donation using either a PayPal account:

or with a major credit card such as:

Click here for details.

Author Topic: Thu., 10/29 David Poole  (Read 4563 times)

magus

Thu., 10/29 David Poole
« on: October 29, 2015, 09:29:48 AM »
THEME:   first word of phrase is the name of a pro from a sports franchise

GOOD ONES:     
Serious lapse for a Missouri player?  CARDINAL SIN [from the Cardinals]   
Luggage for an Ohio football player?   BROWN BAGS [from the Browns]   
Investment return for a NY basketball player?   NET PROFIT [from the Nets]
Magazine insert   AMMO [bet you want to shoot yourself if you missed this one]
Bee's relative   OPIE [that's the way they spelled her name on the Andy Griffith Show]   
High anxiety?   ACROPHOBIA

BTW:   
Reception room for a Texas hockey player?   STAR CHAMBER [from the STARS, but you can't without confusion call a player from the team "a Star": "A Star was on Kimmel last night."  However, I liked the reference to the medieval court and 20th Century movie.]   

Fox hit since 2002, familiarly   IDOL [yeh, I'm cool; I use only one word of a title --- and I call Robert DeNiro Bob]   

In the upper right quadrant we have ISHAM (Mark) and PELEE (geographical point), and in the lower left quad it gets worse:  we get APOLO (Anton) crossed with ILENE (Chaiken) and OPORTO (city of Spain).  I'm not a fan of using unfamiliar proper nouns depending on each other for a solution.  Seems like lazy construction.   

RATING: ;D ;D   
Three grins = Loved it; Two grins = Enjoyed it; One grin = A bit bland for my taste; One teardrop = Not much fun   

Thomps2525

Re: Thu., 10/29 David Poole
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2015, 03:59:13 PM »
Am I invited to this Poole party? (Yes, I made another bad pun there.) "Gershwin title river" is SWANEE. The song Swanee, with music by George Gershwin and lyrics by Irving Caesar (who also wrote Tea For Two, Just A Gigolo and Animal Crackers In My Soup), became a number-one hit for Al Jolson in 1920. The river was also referenced in Stephen Foster's Old Folks At Home (1851), which was written from the standpoint of a black slave longing to be back on "de old plantation." The opening line was "Way down upon de Swanee Ribber" but is now usually sung as "Way down upon the Swanee River." The river in Georgia and Florida is actually the Suwannee but Foster shortened the name to fit the song's melody.....and apparently Gershwin stole from Foster!

In our next lesson, we will discuss a popular bluegrass song and reveal that there really is no such town as "Rocky Top, Tennessee."