CRUCIVERB.COM

User

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Navigate

Resources

Donations

You can help support this site by making a small donation using either a PayPal account:

or with a major credit card such as:

Click here for details.

Author Topic: Wed., 10/28 Hollmer & Burnikel  (Read 4260 times)

magus

Wed., 10/28 Hollmer & Burnikel
« on: October 28, 2015, 09:41:59 AM »
THEME:   first word of a term is the name of a beach

GOOD ONES:    
Shindig by the shore {& theme}   BEACH PARTY [wonder how many beach party goers use or even know the term shindig]   

BTW:   
There are two root beers (HIRES, DADS) and two horns (Horn of Africa, Around-the-horn) today.   

Narcissistic indulgence   EGO TRIP [I never liked the term since it can be and is leveled at anyone who distinguishes himself: President, ballarina, tenor, stripper…]   

Uncertain responses   HOOHA [my knowledge of grunt semantics is admittedly limited, but perhaps this word I never saw comes from brouhaha]   

Huge mess   SNAFU [from WWII: "situation normal: all fucked-up"]   

Submissions to eds.   MSS [manuscripts aren't hand-written any longer, but to my knowledge we haven't come up with a good replacement; SCS for submitted copies?]   

RATING: ;D   
Three grins = Loved it; Two grins = Enjoyed it; One grin = A bit bland for my taste; One teardrop = Not much fun   
« Last Edit: October 28, 2015, 09:51:25 AM by magus »

Thomps2525

Re: Wed., 10/28 Hollmer & Burnikel
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2015, 05:19:38 PM »
The Random House Dictionary gives this defintion and origin of HOOHA:

"Hoo-ha or hoo-hah 1. noun, an uproarious commotion. 2. interjection, (used to express mock surprise or excitement.) 1930-35; probably < Yiddish hu-ha, to-do, uproar, exclamation of surprise; compare Polish hu-ha, exclamation of joy."

"Hoo-ha" is now also used as a slang term for a, umm, certain part of the female anatomy.

BROUHAHA is believed to be a corruption of the Hebrew barúkh habá (בָּרוּךְ הַבָּא), which means "welcome" (literally "Blessed is he who comes").