CRUCIVERB.COM

User

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Navigate

Resources

Donations

You can help support this site by making a small donation using either a PayPal account:

or with a major credit card such as:

Click here for details.

Author Topic: Sat., 10/17 David Steinberg  (Read 4459 times)

magus

Sat., 10/17 David Steinberg
« on: October 17, 2015, 10:27:56 AM »
THEME:   none, but six 16-ers in an irregular grid: 15x16

GOOD ONES:     
Ruler's domain?   ROOST ["rule the roost"]   
Pickup spots?  SCRUFFS [of cats]   
Baguette surfaces   FACETS [diamonds, not food, as I thought]   
Ways to get high  EXTENSION LADDERS   
Real page-turner?   AVID READER   
Zookeepers main squeeze?   BOA   
Locks in a paddock   MANE [horse's hair, not a metal piece or verb "to lock"]   
Depressed area?   DENT   

BTW:   
Nice time for toasting   ETE  [not English; but if French is going to be used, I'd say l'hevir is better for being toasty by a fire]   

Square, in 50's slang…   L SEVEN [new one to me --- guessing that the thumbs and forefingers create an L and a 7 when joined with right hand on top]   

Spanakopita dough   FILO [Greek dish, with distasteful (to me) feta cheese, wrapped in very tasteful filo dough, flaky pastry]   

RATING:    ;D ;D ;D
Three grins = Loved it; Two grins = Enjoyed it; One grin = A bit bland for my taste; One teardrop = Not much fun   

Thomps2525

Re: Sat., 10/17 David Steinberg
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2015, 01:25:10 PM »
You are correct about "L7." In 1959, a "Kookie Dictionary" was published as a promotion for 77 Sunset Strip, ABC-TV's 1958-64 detective drama starring Efrem Zimbalist Jr. and Roger Smith. Edd Byrnes co-starred as Kookie, a nightclub parking lot attendant and "hipster" who aspired to be a detective. The dictionary listed all his "Kookie-isms." Among them: "L7" was a "square," "piling up the Z's" meant sleeping, "the ginchiest" meant the best or greatest, and "a dark seven" was a depressing week. Many of the Kookie-isms were featured in Kookie Kookie Lend Me Your Comb, a 1959 hit by Edd Byrnes and Connie Stevens. (Byrnes' real name is Edward Breitenberger.)