CRUCIVERB.COM

User

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Navigate

Resources

Donations

You can help support this site by making a small donation using either a PayPal account:

or with a major credit card such as:

Click here for details.

Author Topic: Thu., 10/15 Marti DuGuay-Carpenter  (Read 4858 times)

magus

Thu., 10/15 Marti DuGuay-Carpenter
« on: October 15, 2015, 09:17:33 AM »
THEME:   things that are loaded

GOOD ONES:    
They're loaded   BIG SPENDERS   
Some ranges   GE'S [I thought Alps, etc.]   
Attachment seen on a carousel   ID TAG  [I thought merry-go-round, not baggage]   
Sub assembly location   DELI  [sandwiches, not boats]   

BTW:   
Upright   ON END [I guess it depends on your Xword philosphy.  This is fine if you believe a clue is good if in any way it can be correct in describing the answer.  Yet, the LAT does use modifiers, such as "at times."  Why not here?   

RATING:    ;D ;D
Three grins = Loved it; Two grins = Enjoyed it; One grin = A bit bland for my taste; One teardrop = Not much fun   

Thomps2525

Re: Thu., 10/15 Marti DuGuay-Carpenter
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2015, 06:25:48 PM »
If "upright" is synonymous with "on end," then can an upright piano be said to be on its end?

The long answers in the Universal crossword are RENOVATIONS, ROUNDHOUSES, SQUAREROOTS, CONEHEADS, TRIANGLES and RATATOUILLE. Those first five answers seem to be part of a theme but I fail to see how RATATOUILLE relates. With the exception of that one word, the puzzle is in good shape. (Yes, the bad pun was intentional.)

magus

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2015, 09:04:03 AM »
Are you sure the first and sixth are part of the theme?  How does the first fit?

Thomps2525

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2015, 05:48:56 PM »
RENOVATIONS = remodeling job = possible changes in shapes and/or dimensions. Okay, okay, RENOVATIONS probably is not part of the theme. Today's Universal crossword is another in which four answers share a word: GOOSEBUMP, GOOSENECK, COOKONESGOOSE and THESPRUCEGOOSE. Take a gander at those answers and see what you think. (You probably think I make far too many horrible puns. :) )