CRUCIVERB.COM

User

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Navigate

Resources

Donations

You can help support this site by making a small donation using either a PayPal account:

or with a major credit card such as:

Click here for details.

Author Topic: Anagrammer lesson: The October 6 crosswords  (Read 5606 times)

Thomps2525

Anagrammer lesson: The October 6 crosswords
« on: October 06, 2015, 03:09:08 PM »
"Anagrammer lesson" is similar to "grammar lesson." That was the only good caption I could think of. And with that.....Jerome Gunderson's Los Angeles Times crossword today includes

Foppish neckwear: SILKASCOT
Political nickname for the Pacific states: LEFTCOAST
Protective botanical layers: SEEDCOATS
Mexican seafood entree: FISHTACOS

The central answer is "Puccini title heroine" TOSCA, whose name is an anagram of the last word of each of those four phrases.

35-across, "European peak," is ALP. There are 160 mountain ranges in the United States, including the Rocky Mountains, Blue Ridge Mountains and Appalachian Mountains. I have never heard any individual peak referred to as a "Rocky Mountain," "Blue Ridge Mountain" or "Appalchian Mountain." Similarly, I have never heard any individual peak of the Alps referred to as an "Alp"---except, of course, in crossword puzzles.

I'm reminded of a line spoken by Professor Quincy Wagstaff (Groucho Marx) while giving a lecture in the 1932 movie Horse Feathers: "Beyond the Alps lies more Alps and the Lord alps those that alps themselves."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_mountain_ranges#United_States

Sometimes a crossword creator includes five similar words, each one containing, respectively, an A, E, I, O and U or the sound thereof. Today is one of those times. Michael Torch's Daily News puzzle includes RIVERSEINE, CRASHSCENE, LORDGIVEMEASIGN, CUTANDSEWN ("Like clothing customized from raw fabric") and COMINGSOON ("Phrase over a movie poster").

The Universal crossword includes COLLISIONCOURSE, COMMONCOMPLAINT and COLORCOMMENTARY. A medical doctor might say that the puzzle contains 3 CC's. Well.....maybe he wouldn't say that. But I would. In fact, I did. :)