CRUCIVERB.COM

User

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Navigate

Resources

Donations

You can help support this site by making a small donation using either a PayPal account:

or with a major credit card such as:

Click here for details.

Author Topic: Wed., 10/7 Howard Barkin  (Read 5178 times)

magus

Wed., 10/7 Howard Barkin
« on: October 07, 2015, 09:01:32 AM »
THEME:   Hockey penalties found in random phrases

GOOD ONES:    
Hockey punishment {& theme}   PENALTY BOX   
Start of a spelling rule broken by deists?   I BEFORE E [would've been great without "spelling" to give it away; how many other spelling rules are there?]   
Jazz finale?   ZEES [even with the "?" I thought CODA]   
One at the front?   UNI [the prefix meaning "one"; not the dogface]   

BTW:   
Chance to swing   AT BAT [a baseball term for a chance to hit a pitched ball --- why it needs the "at" ot not "ups" has always been a mystery to me, as have so many other baseball terms and rules; maybe I'll write a book on the subject during the hot stove league, known to the baseball cognoscenti as winter]   

RATING:    ;D ;D
Three grins = Loved it; Two grins = Enjoyed it; One grin = A bit bland for my taste; One teardrop = Not much fun   

Thomps2525

Re: Wed., 10/7 Howard Barkin
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2015, 03:13:21 PM »
The crossword by Kevin Christian and Bradley Wilber in today's Daily News includes HELLOKITTY, PANTYRAID ("College prank popular in the '50s"), TRUTHORDARE and the Duke Ellington song MOODINDIGO. The theme of the puzzle, and what is hidden in those phrases, is NORSEGODS. I know the names of Loki, Thor and Odin but I did not recognize the name of a god in PANTYRAID. I doubted that it would be actress Tyra Banks so I had to look it up and I discovered that the Norse god of war was Tyr.

"Hit bottom?" was a very clever clue for SPANK.