CRUCIVERB.COM

User

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Navigate

Resources

Donations

You can help support this site by making a small donation using either a PayPal account:

or with a major credit card such as:

Click here for details.

Author Topic: Sat., 9/26 Don Gagliardo  (Read 5268 times)

magus

Sat., 9/26 Don Gagliardo
« on: September 26, 2015, 01:32:50 PM »
THEME:   none

GOOD ONES:     
Twin seen in a thesaurus?   ESAU[thESAUrus]   
Piece maker   REESE [ the candy man who makes Reese's Pieces]   

BTW:   
Rather than "Year abroad" for ANO I'd stay in our language with "Osk Kosh cheer after 'Gmme___'"   

RATING:   two grins
Three grins = Loved it; Two grins = Enjoyed it; One grin = A bit bland for my taste; One teardrop = Not much fun   

Thomps2525

Re: Sat., 9/26 Don Gagliardo
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2015, 02:25:40 PM »
ANO, of course, should be AÑO. In Spanish, N and Ñ are different letters. (CH and LL are also separate letters but since 1994 are no longer listed separately in Spanish dictionaries.) A few years ago somebody created a puzzle which included several words with Ñ, including NIÑO, ESPAÑOL and SEÑORITA. I have seen only one such puzzle. If crossword creators have to use Spanish words, the words should be spelled properly, e.g., AÑO, not ANO. And, similarly, sportswriters should not spell the name of former leftfielder Raúl Ibañez as "Raul Ibanez." A brief article about the Spanish alphabet is at

http://www.omniglot.com/writing/spanish.htm

That takes care of the Spanish language. Now let's give equal time to French. Today's Daily News crossword used "Place to learn leçons" as the clue for ECOLE. The French word for "school" is ÉCOLE, not ECOLE.

Don Gagliardo clued BOD with "Abs, pecs, delts, etc." Can we accept "bod" and "abs" and "pecs" and "delts" as legitimate words? At any rate, those muscles are not the bod; they are parts of the bod.

I wish I had strong muscles. I'm like a pirate---I have a sunken chest. :)

magus

Re: Sat., 9/26 Don Gagliardo
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2015, 10:43:37 AM »
Taken collectively, pecs and abs are part of the bod (as referred to by those who use those terms e.g. weightlifters).  OK, it's not the bomb and definitely not phat.  (Please forgive me, English teachers and others who respect our language.  I must've lost my soul.)