CRUCIVERB.COM

User

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Navigate

Resources

Donations

You can help support this site by making a small donation using either a PayPal account:

or with a major credit card such as:

Click here for details.

Author Topic: Thu., 9/17 Jerry Edelstein  (Read 6049 times)

magus

Thu., 9/17 Jerry Edelstein
« on: September 17, 2015, 09:51:47 AM »
THEME:   "Blondie" characters

GOOD ONES:    
What we have here   OURS   
Slaughter in baseball  ENOS [probably been around since he played]   
Santa's target  ROOF   
Beginning of space?   AERO [I thought and still think the answer is "time," in which space is enveloped and from which it arose]   

BTW:   
One bounce, in baseball  A HOP [it is a weak entry that needs an article to get it to fit: just hop or one-hopper would be acceptable in my book]   

Respected figure   ELDER ["a consummation devoutly to be wished": the clue needs "church" or "Oriental" to be real] --- (yes, it's un-PC but it's more precise than Asian)   

Bring up   RAISE [RAISE is substandard as a synonym for rear (nurture a family); however, one can RAISE or bring up an issue.]   

Not wild about puzzles on one topic, especially if I know nothing about it, which obtains here.  Am I un-American for not reading the comics or watching cartoons like "The Simpsons"?  Maybe I'm a "culture snob" who prefers "Young Goodman Brown" or Victor Young to Chic Young.  (But I also prefer Cy Young Award winners to comics and cartoons.)
Anyway, who cares what I like --- sorry.   

RATING:    ;D ;D
Three grins = Loved it; Two grins = Enjoyed it; One grin = A bit bland for my taste; One teardrop = Not much fun   

Thomps2525

Re: Thu., 9/17 Jerry Edelstein
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2015, 05:40:18 PM »
The crossword included the names of BLONDIE and DAGWOOD, their son ALEXANDER, Dagwood's boss MRDITHERS, Dithers' wife CORA, Dagwood's friend HERB and Blondie creator CHICYOUNG. It would have been nice if Edelstein could also have included Blondie and Dagwood's last name BUMSTEAD, daughter COOKIE and Herb's wife TOOTSIE but doing so would likely have necessitated a larger grid. And how about neighborhood kid Elmo and Mr. Beasley the mailman?

The Blondie comic strip debuted in 1930. In 1933, Blondie married her boyfriend Dagwood. Her maiden name: Boopadoop.

Jim Hilger's crossword in today's Daily News had a note for the solver: "Four squares will remain empty. Which ones and why are for you to determine." Here are the answers which included a blank square:

B AD
JA IL
HEA RT
SHORTL UNCH
SPR INGVACATION
COMMER CIAL
STA TION
SER VICE

The blank spaces form breaks in the words. The answers are to be read as "Jailbreak," "Heartbreak," "Station break" and so on. A very clever---and challenging---puzzzle!

magus

« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2015, 08:37:53 AM »
Mr. T---

Kindly contact me at magus.rr.com.

Thanks,
M

Thomps2525

« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2015, 05:03:06 PM »
I tried but magus.rr.com does not seem to be a valid URL. I did, however, find a Russian store called Magus Toys and I found information about the Cadarn Magus, an elf in the RuneScape game. You can post your comments here or you can send me a private message:

http://www.cruciverb.com/index.php?action=pm;sa=send

I registered as LARadioRewind but changed my screen name to Thomps2525 so I'm not sure which name you should use. I guess we'll find out.

magus

« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2015, 08:57:35 AM »
Sorry, I left off the @.

magus@triad.rr.com

Thomps2525

« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2015, 03:05:50 PM »
You say you aren't a fan of comics and cartoons but yet you discussed a crossword filled with references to Blondie and Dagwood and your Internet provider is Road Runner. *Meep meep!* :)