Forum > Today's Puzzles

Thu., 9/3 C.C. Burnikel

(1/2) > >>

magus:
THEME:   words and phrases that are related to HOOD

GOOD ONES:     
Hood site   SHERWOOD FOREST [that's Robin Hood's stomping grounds]   
Standing order? PLEASE RISE[one gets the feeling that in a courtroom it's a polite order]   
Wave maker   PERM [that's hair, not the hirsute Donald Trump]   

BTW:   
"Dude!"   OH MAN [I can see no way these two expressions can be used interchangeably]   

Like Kung Pao chicken  SPICY HOT [the way I see it, the chicken can be spicy but not hot, or it can simply be hot: spicy hot would be redundant --- but I may have seen this in ads or menus]   

RATING:    ;D ;D
Three grins = Loved it; Two grins = Enjoyed it; One grin = A bit bland for my taste; One teardrop = Not much fun   

Thomps2525:
The 16th-century Old English word dudde meant "clothing." The word eventually became "duds" and began to be used in reference to only men's clothing. In the 1870s, the word "dude" became a synonym for "man," especially a man from the east who lived in a western town and dressed in "city clothes." And then came dude ranches.....

I have no idea how "Dude!" began to be used as an interjection expressing surprise or disbelief. I also can't explain why people exclaim "Oh, man!" but never say "Oh, woman!"

magus:
I have no idea how "Dude!" began to be used as an interjection expressing surprise or disbelief.

Have you seen it used so?

Thomps2525:
I live across the street from a middle school and I hear the kids on the ball fields so I can affirm that "Dude!" is a common exclamation. The word is not among the 100 interjections listed on the Daily Writing Tips website but an updated list would almost certainly include "Dude!"

http://www.dailywritingtips.com/100-mostly-small-but-expressive-interjections/

I wonder if I could get those kids to start saying "hubba hubba" and "sis boom bah"? I could tell them that those expressions are now retro and hip. :)

magus:
So the constructor or editor heard it used in a schoolyard, and despite the term's not being listed in your citation, included in the puzzle.  Why is this putting a strain on my credulity?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version