CRUCIVERB.COM

User

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Navigate

Resources

Donations

You can help support this site by making a small donation using either a PayPal account:

or with a major credit card such as:

Click here for details.

Author Topic: Sun., 8/30 Pam Amick Klawitter  (Read 5400 times)

magus

Sun., 8/30 Pam Amick Klawitter
« on: August 30, 2015, 09:55:03 AM »
THEME:   MAN intruding in phrases

GOOD ONES:     
One whose citations are always on target?   QUOTATION MARKSMAN [quotation marks]   
Work force breakdown?   MANPOWER FAILURE [power failure]   
Pathfinders and such   NISSANS [I always get fooled on these car answers; I was sure NIMRODS was the answer]   
Subject of a passing concern?  ESTATE [I thought football]   
Some shooters, for short  SLR'S [single lens reflex cameras but I thought guns and peas]   
Where to see available courses   MENUS [thought I was back in college]   
Ian Fleming or James Bond   ETONIANS [all I could think of was that they were male and British --- never saw author and protagonist in the same clue]   

BTW:   
Med. Research org.   NIMH [can't help thinking of the delightful novel The Rats of NIMH]   

ESLAS and ETRE are not used in English.  [change ESLAS to ELSAS (of the lioness) and there is one less problem, and with ETRE changed to EBRO and a few other easy changes, the puzzle would have been stronger]   

RATING:    ;D ;D
Three grins = Loved it; Two grins = Enjoyed it; One grin = A bit bland for my taste; One teardrop = Not much fun   

Thomps2525

Re: Sun., 8/30 Pam Amick Klawitter
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2015, 12:08:58 PM »
Merl Reagle, whose pun-filled Sunday crosswords appeared in the Los Angeles Times, Washington Post and 50 other newspapers, died August 22. His final puzzle appears today and I think it is one of his most clever. The theme: "Wiseguy Studies."

Study of babies? CRYOGENICS
Study of punctuation marks? PERIODONTICS
Study of car repair? DENTISTRY
Study of peas? PODIATRY
Study of poker? CARDIOLOGY
Study of voting? ELECTRONICS
Study of cemeteries? CRYPTOLOGY
Study of logic? ERGONOMICS
Study of women's magazines? COSMOLOGY
Study of dwellings? HOMEOPATHY

The Times published several letters from fans of Reagle's puzzles. One man had a unique approach: He tried to fill in only the theme answers. What a challenge! I doubt that any of us could come up with all the clever wordplay that Reagle came up with. He will be missed. David Poole will now be creating the Sunday crosswords.