CRUCIVERB.COM

User

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Navigate

Resources

Donations

You can help support this site by making a small donation using either a PayPal account:

or with a major credit card such as:

Click here for details.

Author Topic: Thu., 8/27 Timothy L. Meaker  (Read 4180 times)

magus

Thu., 8/27 Timothy L. Meaker
« on: August 27, 2015, 08:53:33 AM »
THEME:   animal sounds replace first words (minus a final consonant) of familiar phrases

GOOD ONES:    
Statistical aid for sheep?   BAA GRAPH [except that's pretty much how we in Brooklyn said it /bahwr/, including the math teachers]   
Doomsday beginning?   DEE   
Code name   MORSE   
Served up a whopper   LIED [I know, it's "served a Whopper" but it sounds like McDonald's]   
Start of a big race?  ADAM   
It's a matter of degrees   ANGLE [I know, the term is "a matter of degree"]   

BTW:   
Longtime family-owned firearms company    BERETTA [not just a century or two or three or four, they've be around since the Renaissance]   

Nonthreatening type   PUSSYCAT [maybe, but mostly it's used to describe someone (or my dog, for example) that is thretening by appearance but is harmelss in reality]   

RATING:    ;D ;D
Three grins = Loved it; Two grins = Enjoyed it; One grin = A bit bland for my taste; One teardrop = Not much fun   

Thomps2525

Re: Thu., 8/27 Timothy L. Meaker
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2015, 04:14:09 PM »
All right, crossword creators---It is obvious that you need a refresher course. One of you today used the word MAGI for "Gospel trio." I must remind you again that the Bible does not tell us how many wise men visited the Christ child, only that they brought three gifts. Many eastern religions say there were as many as seven wise men. All we know for certain is that there were at least two.

Here is how today's Universal crossword sizes up: The theme answers are BIGBUSINESS, SMALLCHANGE, LARGEASLIFE and LITTLEEXTRA. ("Sizes up," get it?)
I have always loved the comedies of Laurel & Hardy and BIGBUSINESS---well, actually, Big Business---is the title of one of their funniest films, a 1929 silent comedy in which they're attempting to sell Christmas trees door to door. James Finlayson does not want one and.......well, you'll all just have to see it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wkQuABG4FT8

Some people erroneously think Stan & Ollie were trying to sell Christmas trees in the summer. Nope, the boys aren't that dumb. It was simply Christmastime in sunny southern California.