CRUCIVERB.COM

User

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Navigate

Resources

Donations

You can help support this site by making a small donation using either a PayPal account:

or with a major credit card such as:

Click here for details.

Author Topic: Sat., 8/1 Barry C. Silk  (Read 4440 times)

magus

Sat., 8/1 Barry C. Silk
« on: August 01, 2015, 09:08:23 AM »
THEME:   none, but only 27 blocks

GOOD ONES:     
Links letters   PGA [recalls Art Linkletter]
What "8" may mean, Abbr.   AUG [apropos for the day]   

BTW:   
In truth, there were many clever clues that stretched my crossword-solving ability.  When I started it did not appear I was up to the task --- often the case on Saturdays.   

RATING:    ;D ;D ;D
Three grins = Loved it; Two grins = Enjoyed it; One grin = A bit bland for my taste; One teardrop = Not much fun   

Thomps2525

Re: Sat., 8/1 Barry C. Silk
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2015, 10:02:13 PM »
Today's crossword included AGUA, BUENO and OLE. Why is it so difficult for puzzle creators to make crosswords with only English words? And I don't know how a TRADESCHOOL can be a "Teacher of skills." A trade school is a building or an institution. Even in this modern age, buildings do not talk and they certainly do not teach. The clue should have said "Place to learn skills."

Barry Silk likely creates his puzzles several weeks in advance of publication. When he included COLE for "Phillies pitcher Hamels," he could not have anticipated that Hamels would become the first major-league pitcher to be traded immediately after throwing a no-hitter. Four days after pitching a no-hitter against the Cubs at Wrigley Field, he was traded on July 29 to the Rangers in exchange for pitcher Matt Harrison and five prospects.

magus

« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2015, 09:59:41 AM »
T-Man---

Yes, I thought trade school was a bit off, but then I thought, perhaps wrongly, that the term school can suggest the teachers, not only the building; hence the clue.

And, it occurred to me as I went through the puzzle that Hammels had just been traded, but I failed to mention it.  Thanks for these two observations.

Thomps2525

« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2015, 01:29:00 PM »
On the day the Phillies traded Cole Hamels, they had a .373 winning percentage, worst in the major leagues. They got rid of their best pitcher. Yeah, that should help the team. ::)