CRUCIVERB.COM

User

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Navigate

Resources

Donations

You can help support this site by making a small donation using either a PayPal account:

or with a major credit card such as:

Click here for details.

Author Topic: Sun., 6/28 Jim Quinlan  (Read 4613 times)

magus

Sun., 6/28 Jim Quinlan
« on: June 28, 2015, 09:38:35 AM »
THEME:   missing letter from a Broadway play makes an odd phrase

GOOD ONES:    
Show about an unusual car?   THE ODD COUPE   
Show about shoeless Shem?   BAREFOOT IN THE ARK [Shem was with Noah on the ark]   
Start of a waste line?   HASTE [as in it makes waste --- not waistline]   
Hole in the head   NOSTRIL   
Sound often prohibited?   PEEP ["Don't make a peep!"]   
Sink hole   DRAIN   
Mustard weapon, possibly   ROPE [amazing how that games stays in one's memory!  Col. Mustard is from the game Clue and one weapon was a rope]   
Possessive type?   DEMON [as in demonic possession]   
First name in lexicography   NOAH [Webster's first name.  And Webster is also the first name in lexicography.]   

BTW:   
Foes of us   THEM [but to be grammatical, the phrase should be "It's they or us," but it sounds lame (lame sounds odd to me)]   

"Yo te ___": Spanish lover's words   AMO [perhaps Jim is a lover of Spanish, but as a speaker of English with its Latin roots, I'd go with "Latin lover's word" or the cigar brand Te ___]   

RATING:    ;D ;D ;D
Three grins = Loved it; Two grins = Enjoyed it; One grin = A bit bland for my taste; One teardrop = Not much fun   

Thomps2525

Re: Sun., 6/28 Jim Quinlan
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2015, 03:13:01 PM »
Only one foreign word? Merl Reagle's Sunday crossword included five: AMOI ("Mine, to Mimi"), ELTORO, LUI, ORO and ROI. Our old friends AVA Gardner and LON Chaney also put in an appearance. The theme is "Plays Well With Authors."

Overact, author-style? HAMMETTUP
Takes certain court action, to an author? SEUSSFORDAMAGES
"I'll catch up after I rest a bit," to an author? HUGOONAHEAD
Proposal from an author? VONNEGUTMARRIED
Author's favorite singing group? DEFOESEASONS
Author's favorite song from the '60s? DELILLOLADYFROMPASADENA
Author's favorite line from a classic Southern song? LECARRELECARRELECARREDIXIELAND

Whoo! Reagle really put some effort into that last one! Overall, a very clever and creative puzzle.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2015, 03:15:06 PM by LARadioRewind »

Thomps2525

Re: Sun., 6/28 Jim Quinlan
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2015, 03:23:30 PM »
Merl Reagle's crossword today also included HOFBRAU, for "German-style bistro." The word is short for hofbrÀuhaus, which means "court brewery." The German monarchs had their own official breweries. Ach du Lieber Himmel!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hofbrau