CRUCIVERB.COM

User

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Navigate

Resources

Donations

You can help support this site by making a small donation using either a PayPal account:

or with a major credit card such as:

Click here for details.

Author Topic: Sun., 6/21 C.C. Burnikel  (Read 4664 times)

magus

Sun., 6/21 C.C. Burnikel
« on: June 21, 2015, 09:18:02 AM »
THEME:   GI are initials of two-word phrases

GOOD ONES:     
Legislation signed 6/22/44…   GI BILL [today is 6/22, 71 years later]   
High-end bar?   GOLD INGOT   
Wise guys?   MAGI [yes, indeed!]   
Friend's address   THEE [Quakers are known as Friends]   
Sweet finish?   ICING [physically and spiritually true]   
It passes between Swiss banks   AARE [not gold ingots or other monetary units between institutions]   

BTW:   
ETE, ANGE, and UNAS are aliens, so to speak.   

Like New York's Waldorf Astoria   DECO [what happened to the ART, especially since the clue uses "Astoria" which is often omitted from "Waldorf"?]   

Sleekly designed   AERO [what happened to "DYNAMIC"?]   

I enjoyed going from Paradise Lost and Moby Dick to King Kong and Happy Days.   

RATING:    ;D ;D
Three grins = Loved it; Two grins = Enjoyed it; One grin = A bit bland for my taste; One teardrop = Not much fun   

Thomps2525

Re: Sun., 6/21 C.C. Burnikel
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2015, 03:08:50 PM »
G, I would really love to discuss Merl Reagle's Sunday crossword. (See what I did there?) The title: "Hot Topic." The theme: CLIMATECHANGE. Each of the nine theme answers included seven shaded squares containing various combinations of the letters in CLIMATE. Among them are WITHOUTMALICE, DELICATEMATTER, MEALTICKETS, CHEMICHALTEST and the 1957 horror film FROMHELLITCAME.

"Actor-singer whose real name was Leek" was a reference to Howard KEEL but that is wrong. Howard Keel's real name was Harry Clifford Keel. The story that his real name was "Leek" was put forth by the MGM Studios publicity department in the 1950s. And yes, I'm writing Merl Reagle about the error.

Thomps2525

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2015, 03:27:15 PM »
Anyone who wishes to contact Merl Reagle can send an e-mail to  puzzwrks@merlmedia.com

To sign up for Reagle's mailing list and receive news about puzzles, books, conests and personal appearnces, simply enter your e-mail address at http://visitor.r20.constantcontact.com/manage/optin/ea?v=001ojzLQF2eJYF13WWRnDzTfNNf1awgBAN-DWFsBcVTZawANQUhehNAimrYfvSi4poKtZhxTVBPw8KgdVGDfahrWgQWIod9nvA-

That web address is a puzzle in itself! :)

Thomps2525

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2015, 05:53:57 PM »
I was pleasantly surprised to receive a prompt reply from Merl Reagle after I told him about the error in the reference to Howard Keel:

"hey, you're right. i read that it was 'leek' in ephraim katz's great film bio book the film encyclopedia, a book that newsweek once called 'the best movie reference book, hands-down.' it was so correct and authoritative on so many fronts that i never thought to doubt it. also, when it rains it pours -- 'hi lili' is from the leslie caron film lili (duh), not an american in paris. when my brain plays tricks on me, it goes all out."

It is obvious that Merl had used up his supply of capital letters for today's crossword and had none left for his e-mail. :)