CRUCIVERB.COM

User

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Navigate

Resources

Donations

You can help support this site by making a small donation using either a PayPal account:

or with a major credit card such as:

Click here for details.

Author Topic: Fri., 6/12 Gagliardo & Burnikel  (Read 4632 times)

magus

Fri., 6/12 Gagliardo & Burnikel
« on: June 12, 2015, 08:56:33 AM »
THEME:   AD added to common phrases

GOOD ONES:     
Court term {& theme}    AD IN [tennis court score]   
Spy industry?  SHADOW BUSINESS [show business]   
Monk's "The piano ain't got no wrong notes," e.g.   JAZZ ADAGE [Jazz Age]   
Took sides?   ATE [as in a side order of bacon]   
Waiter at O'Hare   TAXI [not at a restaurant, but could be]   

BTW:   
Lowlife, slangily   CREEPO [is it "el creepo" as in "el cheapo" --- anyway, I'm not buying it without the "el," making me "el groucho"]   

Get ripped   TONE UP [hardly alike: "tone up" means to improve one's musculature; "get ripped" means to build massive muscles]   

RATING:    ;D ;D ;D
Three grins = Loved it; Two grins = Enjoyed it; One grin = A bit bland for my taste; One teardrop = Not much fun   

Thomps2525

Re: Fri., 6/12 Gagliardo & Burnikel
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2015, 04:06:29 PM »
"Southernmost 48-states capital" was AUSTIN. That is incorrect. The southernmost state capital is Honolulu. The clue for AUSTIN should have been "Of the 48 contiguous states, the southernmost capital." And it drives me crazy when I hear people refer to the contiguous states as the "lower 48." The "lower 48" is every state except Alaska and Maine but people who use that term are taking it to mean every state except Alaska and Hawai'i. And they are incorrect.

Here is today's one-sentence history lesson: After the Republic of Texas was established in 1836, the town of Waterloo was chosen to be the capital and was renamed to  honor Stephen F. Austin, a Virginia native who had led the first successful colonization of Texas and became the Republic's first secretary of state.

Thomps2525

Re: Fri., 6/12 Gagliardo & Burnikel
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2015, 08:03:46 PM »
There is another crossword discussion site where someone asked what "adin" means. The tennis term is not in many dictionaries; it means "the advantage being scored by the server." I do not understand the scoring methods used in tennis so I of course do not understand "adin" either. The discussion of the word is at https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/rec.puzzles.crosswords/05m9_ETfigU