CRUCIVERB.COM

User

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Navigate

Resources

Donations

You can help support this site by making a small donation using either a PayPal account:

or with a major credit card such as:

Click here for details.

Author Topic: Sun., 6/7 C.C. Burnikel  (Read 4371 times)

magus

Sun., 6/7 C.C. Burnikel
« on: June 07, 2015, 09:16:33 AM »
THEME:   Common definitions of computer terms

GOOD ONES:    
Winter runner  NOSE [not the usual "sled"]   
Winning threesome?    ENS   
Run the show   EMCEE [not the boss]   
Flag bearers   POLES [not people]   
English in tennis   TOPSPIN [English (it's their game) here means an unusual spin of the ball causing it to bounce oddly, but TOPSPIN is de rigueur today, so sidespin might really be English]   
Sound heard by the ears?   CAWS [crows in cornfields]   

BTW:   
Cake often laced with rum   BABKA  [it rarely has rum, but BABA does have rum]   

SEIS is not used in English.   

Like some cabs   OAKY [cabs here is short for cabernets, but I knew it was wine since "smelly" didn't fit   :)  ]   

Dept. whose initials spell an animal's name   ENER [ENER is the abbreviation for Dept. of Ener. (DOE).   

RATING:    ;D ;D
Three grins = Loved it; Two grins = Enjoyed it; One grin = A bit bland for my taste; One teardrop = Not much fun   

Thomps2525

Re: Sun., 6/7 C.C. Burnikel
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2015, 02:42:00 PM »
Merl Reagle was quite helpful today. His clues included the letters which were part of the "Wedding No-Shows." That is the puzzle's title and theme. After all, today is the first Sunday in June, the traditional wedding month.

What Eskimos do at weddings? (R) : THROWICE
What German newlyweds do? (O) : EXCHANGEVWS
Nickname for an annoying new relative? (R) : BOTHERINLAW
What a deep-voiced wedding singer might need? (F) : LOWERARRANGEMENT
What to say when the cheese finally arrives? (D) : HERECOMESTHEBRIE
Not-so-good news for a groom? (I) : THEBRIDESMAD

The clue for 36-across is "Actress Anders." I immediately thought of Merry Anders, who co-starred (with Barbara Eden and Lori Nelson) in the 1957-59 How To Marry A Millionaire tv series, adapted from the 1953 movie of the same name. (Lisa Gaye replaced Lori Nelson in the second season.) The correct answer was LUANA. I had not heard of Luana Anders. I learned that she appeared in several cult films and low-budget B-movies, including Reform School Girls, The Pit & The Pendulum, Night Tide, Demetia 13 and Easy Rider. She died of breast cancer in 1996.

The puzzle also included the over-used words ALE, ATE, AVA, EEL and EVE and the foreign words AMO, ETUI, MER, OSO and SETAE. "Philadelphia paper: abbr." is INQ. Really? I doubt that anyone in Philadelphia refers to the Inquirer as INQ. It is obvious that Reagle wound up with that three-letter sequence and could not easily change it to a legitimate word by reworking the surrounding words so he had to come up with something that could be a clue to INQ.

C.C. Burnikel's answer of NOSE for "Winter runner" reminded me of an old joke from Mad magazine: "Does your nose run and your feet smell? Uh-oh, you're built upside-down!"

Think about it.