CRUCIVERB.COM

User

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Navigate

Resources

Donations

You can help support this site by making a small donation using either a PayPal account:

or with a major credit card such as:

Click here for details.

Author Topic: Fri., May 15 Melanie Miller  (Read 4220 times)

magus

Fri., May 15 Melanie Miller
« on: May 15, 2015, 08:53:34 AM »
THEME:   intrusive NET

GOOD ONES:     
Taxable amount {& theme}   NET GAIN [in fact, the phrase gained NET]   

Dark-haired brigade?   BRUNETTE FORCE [minus NET = BRUTE FORCE]   

End of basketball?   ELS [spelling end, that is]   

Deuce follower   AD IN [I though cards: trey]   

Chick bar?   ROOST [can there really be a bar frequented mainly by nubiles, or must it be a gay bar?]   

Person, slangily   EGG ["he's a good egg"]   

Doctor, perhaps   EDIT ["doctor" can connote a change in text not needed or wanted by the author --- exactly how I felt about all of my editors, except for Will Weng, of course]   

RATING:    ;D ;D ;D
Three grins = Loved it; Two grins = Enjoyed it; One grin = A bit bland for my taste; One teardrop = Not much fun   

Thomps2525

Re: Fri., May 15 Melanie Miller
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2015, 03:46:13 PM »
"Allows to use" is a reference to a person. That was the clue for LEND, which is a reference to an object. Oops!

The Daily News crossword included HEAD1st, LEAP2nd and 3rdRAIL. Each
ordinal number was in a single square. The intersecting answers were THEBOY1stCRIEDWOLF, GUESS2nd and TELLMESOMETHING3rd. For the answers to make sense, you have to substitute WHO for 1st, WHAT for 2nd and IDONTKNOW for 3rd. Yes, the crossword is a tribute to the 1945 Abbott & Costello "Who's on first" routine. Abbott was talking about the players on his baseball team and Costello couldn't understand that Who is on first, What is on second and I Don't Know is on third. The duo performed the sketch many times. The lengthiest version was in the movie The Naughty Nineties. Here is a version from their tv series:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kTcRRaXV-fg

"When you pay the first baseman, who gets the money?" "Yes, every dollar. Sometimes his wife comes down and collects it." "Whose wife?" "That's right." :)

magus

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2015, 09:12:33 AM »
"Allows to use" is a reference to a person. That was the clue for LEND, which is a reference to an object. Oops!

To lend means to make (something) available to (someone or something).  If Joe lends a pen to Adam, Joe has in fact allowed  Adam to use the pen.
to lend = refers to Joe
to make (something) available = pen
to (someone or something) = Adam

Thomps2525

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2015, 04:25:51 PM »
In that example, I don't see how "lend" can refer to Joe. Joe is the recipient of the lending but it is the pen which is being lent. "Lend" and "allow to use" are not synonymous. How about if the clue for LEND was "allows the use of"? That would have been more betterer.

"What's the name of the guy playin' first base?" "What is on second. Who is on first." "What are ya askin' me for?"