CRUCIVERB.COM

User

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Navigate

Resources

Donations

You can help support this site by making a small donation using either a PayPal account:

or with a major credit card such as:

Click here for details.

Author Topic: The fruitful May 12 crossword  (Read 3747 times)

Thomps2525

The fruitful May 12 crossword
« on: May 12, 2015, 04:30:11 PM »
Bruce Haight's crossword in today's Los Angeles Times  includes GOOSEBUMPS, STRAWHATS, BLACKARTS and BLUESTATES. The central word in the grid, BERRIES, can follow the start of each of those four phrases.

You could say that the puzzle was fruitful. Yes, it would be a dumb thing to say but you could still say it. Today's NEA crossword, however, was not fruitful. It had no theme---it never does---and contained Roman numerals (VII), foreign words (AGUA, ILE, ORO) and the much over-used words ALE, APE, IRE and OAR.

The Universal crossword included Roman numerals (III) and the over-used words LEI, ONO, ORE and OREO but it also included SATAY ("Grilled Thai dish") and ALIENED ("Estranged.") Until I consulted good ol' Merriam-Webster, I did not know "alien" was ever a verb. The word "alienate" was first used in 1509. The verb was originally "alien." It dates from the 1300s. I wonder if anyone back then was ever sued for "aliening of affections"?