CRUCIVERB.COM

User

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Navigate

Resources

Donations

You can help support this site by making a small donation using either a PayPal account:

or with a major credit card such as:

Click here for details.

Author Topic: Thu., 5/7 Gareth Bain  (Read 4004 times)

magus

Thu., 5/7 Gareth Bain
« on: May 07, 2015, 09:06:09 AM »
THEME:   I'm sure there is one, but if it takes more than thirty seconds to find, I lose patience.  Sorry.  Had there been a title or some reference within....  Okay, they're anagrams (I went back).

GOOD ONES:     
Apollo home   HARLEM [I thought everywhere but Manhattan]   
Big wind   TUBA   
Places to see FDR   DIMES   
ETTA James followed by "James portrayer" SEAN made me think they were related.   

BTW:   
"Common" asset   SENSE [probably why academics belittle it]   

Provided with an email dupe   CCED  [not wild about the spelling, but it is of interest that "carbon copies" is an anachronism, yet we kept the initials]   

Bandleader Shaw   ARTIE [he's from the 1930's and 40's and has one of the best recordings ever:  "Begin the Beguine" written by Cole Porter.    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zNcPnEc99UE

It's "The Beeb" or "The British Broadcasting Corporation" but not "THE BBC."  That is not to say in a sentence the definite article does not precede BBC, bit in a crossword the definite article is not used unless it is part of the definition or manner of speech.   

Rider's handful   REINS [I was sure it was COINS]   

RATING:    ;D ;D
Three grins = Loved it; Two grins = Enjoyed it; One grin = A bit bland for my taste; One teardrop = Not much fun   
« Last Edit: May 07, 2015, 12:09:55 PM by magus »

Thomps2525

Re: Thu., 5/7 Gareth Bain
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2015, 04:51:31 PM »
Even though Artie Shaw and his orchestra had a few hits with Brunswick Records, including Goodnight Angel (vocal by Nita Bradley) and Indian Love Call (vocal by Tony Pastor), Brunswick chose to let his contract expire. Shaw then signed a new contract with RCA Victor. Begin The Beguine was one of the songs they recorded during their first session (1938) and it was the first song that Victor (on its Bluebird subsidiary) released as a single. It spent eight weeks at number one and remained in the top 20 for 18 weeks. And the people at Brunswick probably started kicking themselves.

The Daily News crossword had 48 black squares, the most I've ever seen in a 15x15 grid. The black squares formed the letters H, T, U and S. The U and the S looked odd but of course a crossword grid does not allow for curves. Each of the four theme answers was an "arrangement of the letters in the grid." The answers were CABANAS, ERGO, REAR and SEAL, each of which was a synonym of a word formed with the aforementioned letters: HUTS, THUS, TUSH and SHUT. A very creative idea!

As for today's NEA crossword---38 black squares in a 13x13 grid---there were more of the usual over-used words: ACRE, AFAR, ALE, DRS, EDAM, EDEN, ELAN, ENS, ICE, OLE, SEE and SRS. I'm noticing that when crosswords include a lot of three- and four-letter words, a majority of those words end with E or S. I remember a few years ago someone made a crossword that contained no E's. I hereby issue this challenge to any crossword creator who considers himself capable: Come up with a series of five crosswords where puzzle #1 uses no A's, puzzle #2 uses no E's, #3 has no I's, #4 has no O's and #5 contains no U's. And for the Saturday crossword, construct a puzzle containing no S's. No prizes will be awarded...but think how smart you'll feel!