CRUCIVERB.COM

User

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Navigate

Resources

Donations

You can help support this site by making a small donation using either a PayPal account:

or with a major credit card such as:

Click here for details.

Author Topic: Ware Words & Werewolves---The May 4 Crosswords  (Read 4306 times)

Thomps2525

Ware Words & Werewolves---The May 4 Crosswords
« on: May 04, 2015, 02:53:39 PM »
Today's Los Angeles Times crossword did not really have a theme but the four long answers are TEENAGEWEREWOLF (title of a 1957 horror film starring Michael Landon), MENSWEARHOUSE, HARDWARESTORE and ANYWHEREBUTHERE ("Not in my backyard"). WERE, WEAR and WARE are homonyms; WHERE does not fit...unless you don't pronounce the H. The crossword also includes THEBIBLE. Don't most crossword puzzle editors object to answers containing the word "the"? Today, at least, one editor allowed such an answer.

The 13x13 NEA puzzle had the usual high number of over-used three- and four-letter words: ACRE, ADD, ANTI, ECRU, ESS, EVIL, ORCA, OSLO, RENO, TEE.....and NOG, which is seldom used without the prefix EGG, except in crosswords. The puzzle also included SAREK. I had to look that one up. Sarek was a Vulcan astrophysicist on Star Trek, a show I have never watched. I am not a fan of science fiction. No, I've never seen any of the Star Wars movies either.

The Universal crossword included the over-used words ACE, ARE, ATE, CEDE, EMU, ETA, ETE, SPA and UKE and two (only two?) theme answers, REDCRESCENT and REDHOTPOKER. The center word was REDID, which can be read as "re-did" or, in keeping with the mini-theme, "Red ID."

Thomps2525

Re: Ware Words & Werewolves---The May 4 Crosswords
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2015, 04:42:11 PM »
In the Times crossword, the clue for 22 across is "Tootsies." The answer is FEET. I always thought the word referred to toes. When someone says "My tootsies are cold," she means her toes are cold. Right? Well, the Merriam-Webster dictionary says the word "tootsie" was originally spelled "tootsy" and was first used in 1854. It came from the "baby-talk pronunciation of 'foot.'" Okay...but then why do we never hear the word in its singular form? It's always used as a plural. Yes, there is Tootsie Rolls candy and the 1982 Dustin Hoffman movie Tootsie, but neither the candy nor the movie has anything to do with feet, so they don't count.