CRUCIVERB.COM

User

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Navigate

Resources

Donations

You can help support this site by making a small donation using either a PayPal account:

or with a major credit card such as:

Click here for details.

Author Topic: Sat., 5/2 C.C. Burnikel  (Read 4274 times)

magus

Sat., 5/2 C.C. Burnikel
« on: May 02, 2015, 08:55:47 AM »
THEME:   none, but two clues are the same for long answers

GOOD ONES:    
Carol kings   MAGI   
Pay stub?   OLA [payola = disc jockey graft]   
Blast from the past   A TEST [disc jockey phrase meaning "oldie" (even from the previous year since the listeners were teens)]   
Dopey picture?   CEL [cartoon figure]   

BTW:   
Certain media darling   (The) IT GIRL   [Clara Bow --- almost a century ago --- before the word media was used this way]   

Word of thanks   GRACIAS [that it's a Spanish word should have been noted]   

UNAS and AME are foreign only.

I probably dislike DOH because it comes from The Simpsons which I've never seen but which pop culture has embraced as the literati did Alexander Pope.   

I have drunk at the Pierian Spring referred to by Pope, but I may need another taste to understand why "EBON wand" is quotation worthy.   

Bean expert   BARISTA ["bean server" is more like it as no expertise is associated with this Italian term]   

RATING:  ;D ;D   
Three grins = Loved it; Two grins = Enjoyed it; One grin = A bit bland for my taste; One teardrop = Not much fun   

Thomps2525

Re: Sat., 5/2 C.C. Burnikel
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2015, 02:23:40 PM »
"Doh!" has appeared in quite a few crosswords and the word, attributed to Homer Simpson, is even included in a few dictionaries. However, "Doh!" actually originated with the squint-eyed Scottish-born actor James Finlayson, who appeared in many films with Stan Laurel and Oliver Hardy from 1923 to 1940.

Clara Bow became forever known as "the It girl" following the success of her 1927 silent film It. Until today's crossword, she was never referred to as a "media darling" and probably never will be again.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/It_(1927_film)

Thomps2525

Re: Sat., 5/2 C.C. Burnikel
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2015, 06:42:46 PM »
Alexander Pope is also credited with originating the saying "Fools rush in where angels fear to tread"---which is much more memorable than anything about an "ebon wand." The saying became the basis of a Johnny Mercer song which would be recorded by Frank Sinatra, Dean Martin, Brooke Benton, Rick Nelson, Julie London and many other artists.