CRUCIVERB.COM

User

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Navigate

Resources

Donations

You can help support this site by making a small donation using either a PayPal account:

or with a major credit card such as:

Click here for details.

Author Topic: Sun., 3/22 C.C. Burnikel  (Read 4241 times)

magus

Sun., 3/22 C.C. Burnikel
« on: March 22, 2015, 09:24:00 AM »
THEME:   synonyms for golf terms

GOOD ONES:    
They may reduce sentences   EDITORS   

BTW:   
LOI is not used in our language, nor is EN AMI, which in our language sounds just the opposite of the French.   

Green   ECOFRIENDLY [to me, green still means raw (new), envious, or sickly --- not what the eco-minded would prefer us to think  --- of course, eco-terrorists are another thing altogether]

This puzzle seems to have been more fun (and challenging) to construct than to solve.

RATING:    ;D
Three grins = Loved it; Two grins = Enjoyed it; One grin = A bit bland for my taste; One teardrop = Not much fun

I've done the last few days' puzzles on the computer which today returned a "score" of 3800 or so points.  There doesn't seem to be a key to the scoring.  Does anyone know how the scores are derived?   
« Last Edit: March 22, 2015, 09:33:03 AM by magus »

Thomps2525

Re: Sun., 3/22 C.C. Burnikel
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2015, 04:53:31 PM »
Today I learned two new words. Well...actually I think only one is a real word. Merl Reagle's crossword in the Los Angeles Times included EGERIA for "Female adviser." Merriam-Webster says the word comes from the name of "a nymph who advised legendary Roman king Numa Pompilius." But EARMAN for "otologist"? Yeah, I suppose "earman" could be a word...but I don't like it.

The puzzle is titled "On The Road Again" and the theme answers are common phrases with CAR inserted. Among them:

Sign outside a cheap hotel? SORRYNOCARPETS
Part of a horticulture series? BIRTHOFACARNATION
Little Boy Blue's girlfriend? LITTLEGREENCARMEN
Comment about a kid who prefers the old Tonight Show? LIKEFATHERLIKECARSON

Thomps2525

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2015, 09:13:18 PM »
Today's New York Times crossword by Will Shortz---I wonder if he has a brother named Jim---is titled "Making Connections." One of the answers is the popular website LINKEDIN and the theme answers are common phrases prefaced with IN. Examples:

Diapers? INFANCYPANTS
Desk chairs? INBOXSEATS
Diet? INTAKECONTROL
Atheistic Cuban leader? INFIDELCASTRO
Add to the Video Clip Hall of Fame? INDUCTTAPE

"Drunk's favorite radio station?" was WINO. The late George Carlin did a hilarious routine about "Wonderful WINO Radio" but there really is a radio station with those call letters. It's in Odessa, New York, and simulcasts the programming of WRFI in Ithaca.

http://www.prx.org/station_accounts/1011-wrfi

magus

« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2015, 08:59:06 AM »
I believe the original Carlin routine found on his first and best album "Take-Offs and Put-Ons" had the radio station as "Radio WINO in Western Walla Walla."  If "wonderful" were ever used, it would be match the other W's, but I've never heard it delivered that way.