CRUCIVERB.COM

User

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Navigate

Resources

Donations

You can help support this site by making a small donation using either a PayPal account:

or with a major credit card such as:

Click here for details.

Author Topic: Sun., 3/8 Ed Sessa  (Read 6582 times)

magus

Sun., 3/8 Ed Sessa
« on: March 08, 2015, 09:59:14 AM »
THEME:   GEO found in random phrases

GOOD ONES:    
Hide-and seek with GPS {& theme}    GEO CACHING   
IMO, in Hamlet   METHINKS   
Central opening?   CEE   

BTW:   
This puzzle was particularly diverse in subject matter: from Hamlet to ONO; from RONEE to ABEL; J AND J to IZOD; and even MOJOS to DODOZ.   

Of no consequence   MOOT [actually MOOT means debatable, but through misuse…]   

Swipe from   ROB [actually ROB means to take from a person; swipe means simply to steal.  But through misuse…]   

DUDES for Bros and DA BOMB for Tops are from the Black (Negro is no longer PC) sub-culture (also no longer PC) which for some reason has become adopted avidly by the culture at large.  Why this is so is not the proper object of this space, but what is is that an old, white academic like me knows what DA BOMB was, which like phat, has become only for lame white dudes trying to be hep (no longer hip).   

RATING: ;D ;D   
Three grins = Loved it; Two grins = Enjoyed it; One grin = A bit bland for my taste; One teardrop = Not much fun   

rbe

Re: Sun., 3/8 Ed Sessa
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2015, 12:26:36 PM »
IZOD?

Thomps2525

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2015, 04:27:53 PM »
IZOD is a sled-dog race. No, wait, I'm thinking of Iditarod. IZOD is a sportswear company based in New York City.

The Los Angeles Times Sunday crossword appears in dozens of newspapers...but the Los Angeles Times is not one of them. Go figure! On Sunday, the Times runs Merl Reagle's crossword. Today's is titled "The Sides Of March." There is a saying that "March comes in like a lion and goes out like a lamb." Each theme answer contains LION or LAMB. Examples: DANDELION, PIKAPPALAMBDA, BLACKSTALLION, FEELAMBIVALENT and GOODWILLAMBASSADOR. The puzzle also includes EKE, ELI, ERR, IRA, LAD, OKRA, OLIO and several other words that are used far too often, plus the French word SOIR and another set of Roman numerals. *Sigh* At least the crossword had a clever theme.

Thomps2525

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2015, 04:22:32 PM »
The Daily News runs the New York Times crossword puzzles...but the Monday-to-Friday puzzles appear four weeks after they're published in the Times and each Sunday puzzle appears one week after the Times runs it. The delay doesn't bother me except when a particular puzzle has a theme that relates to a holiday or a historical event for a certain date. For example, a 4th-of-July-themed puzzle makes little sense when it's printed in August.

The puzzle that ran on March 9 should have run on March 2. It did run on March 2 in the New York Times. The title was "Noted Anniversary." March 2 marked the 50th anniversary of THESOUNDOFMUSIC, which was the theme. "Noted"---get it? Other theme answers were JULIEANDREWS, SOUTHERNAUSTRIA, THEVONTRAPPS, THEHILLSAREALIVE, RODGERSANDHAMMERSTEIN and BESTPICTUREOSCAR. I will write the Daily News editor and ask why the crosswords are published belatedly.

rbe

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2015, 05:12:01 PM »
IZOD is a sled-dog race. No, wait, I'm thinking of Iditarod. IZOD is a sportswear company based in New York City.

I couldn't find IZOD anywhere in this puzzle. 

Thomps2525

« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2015, 09:19:40 PM »
As I said, the Sunday Los Angeles Times does not run the Los Angeles Times Sunday crossword...but I found the March 8 answers on the Crossword Corner blog. You are correct: IZOD does not appear in the puzzle. Not only that, we've just given them some free advertising. Maybe they'll thank us by sending us some polo shirts. :)

http://crosswordcorner.blogspot.com/2015/03/sunday-march-8-2015-ed-sessa.html

magus

« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2015, 08:57:40 AM »
Okay, now I see what happened.  I wrote in my commentary IZOD instead of FILA, probably because they're a distinction with no difference, at least to me.  Sorry for confusing you, rbe.