CRUCIVERB.COM

User

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Navigate

Resources

Donations

You can help support this site by making a small donation using either a PayPal account:

or with a major credit card such as:

Click here for details.

Author Topic: Tue., 3/10 John Lampkin  (Read 3597 times)

magus

Tue., 3/10 John Lampkin
« on: March 10, 2015, 09:34:56 AM »
THEME:   Things William Tell   

GOOD ONES:        
Review of books?   AUDIT      

BTW:      
Nice NELLY is new to me perhaps because I'm from the East, as appropriate for a Magus.      

Elton John's title   SIR [better without the apostrophe so it could also be a three-letter song title]      

RATING:  :'(      
Three grins = Loved it; Two grins = Enjoyed it; One grin = A bit bland for my taste; One teardrop = Not much fun      

Thomps2525

Re: Tue., 3/10 John Lampkin
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2015, 04:38:37 PM »
The term "Nice Nelly" refers to a person who is overly modest or prudish. It was first used in 1925. Today's crossword included ENDMOST for "Bringing up the rear." The word dates from the 11th century and means "situated at the very end." Why does the word even exist? Why did anyone in the 11th century feel the need to take the word "end" and add the superfluous word "most" to it? As for the definition, how is "the very end" any different from "the end"?

I'm reminded of the story of a teenager who tried to cut in line outside a movie theater. A man said, "Hey, go to the end of the line!" The boy replied, "I can't---there's already somebody there."