CRUCIVERB.COM

User

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Navigate

Resources

Donations

You can help support this site by making a small donation using either a PayPal account:

or with a major credit card such as:

Click here for details.

Author Topic: Thu., 3/5 C.C. Burnikel  (Read 4495 times)

magus

Thu., 3/5 C.C. Burnikel
« on: March 05, 2015, 09:04:28 AM »
THEME:   chain stores

GOOD ONES:     
Mobile setting: Abbr.   ALA [the city not the switch]   
Gets into a seat   ELECTS   
Spare pieces?   RIBS [I thought RIMS]   
Price number   ARIA [Leontyne, the singer and if one considers an aria a number, which is usually a pop song]   
They catch busses at stadiums   KISS CAMS [busses is obs. for kisses]   
Took courses at midnight?   ATE LATE [wonder if there are night schools that run so late --- maybe on the web]   

BTW:   
Ryder Cup chant   USA USA ["there's no chanting in golf"]   

SHE'S A LADY is a bad memory both in sound and lyric.   

RATING: ;D ;D   
Three grins = Loved it; Two grins = Enjoyed it; One grin = A bit bland for my taste; One teardrop = Not much fun   
« Last Edit: March 05, 2015, 09:10:05 AM by magus »

Thomps2525

Re: Thu., 3/5 C.C. Burnikel
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2015, 06:58:07 PM »
She's A Lady was written by Paul Anka, who also wrote a 1959 hit for Annette Funicello, It's Really Love. Anka later reworked the melody and it became the theme song for The Tonight Show.

"Buss" as a synonym for kiss is believed to be either a blend of the French baiser and the Middle English verb kissen or an adaptation of the 16th-century Scottish Gaelic word bus, which meant "mouth or lips" and is also the word from which we derived "puss" as a slang word for a person's face.

magus

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2015, 09:16:06 AM »
So now I know why I also hated The Tonight Show theme.  Paul Anka!  (But I have to admit I did like "My Way.")

Thomps2525

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2015, 04:06:05 PM »
Yes, but which My Way did you prefer, Frank Sinatra's or Elvis Presley's? Elvis's version, released two months after he died in 1977, got to #22 on the Billboard Hot 100 and Sinatra's original peaked at #27 in 1969. Elvis's version also reached #2 on the country chart.