CRUCIVERB.COM

User

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Navigate

Resources

Donations

You can help support this site by making a small donation using either a PayPal account:

or with a major credit card such as:

Click here for details.

Author Topic: Sun., 2/22 Alex Vratsanos  (Read 3876 times)

magus

Sun., 2/22 Alex Vratsanos
« on: February 22, 2015, 09:43:56 AM »
THEME:   phrases with six T's

GOOD ONES:     
Title: "The 60's" [pronounced "6 T's"]   
Money changers?: Abbr.   EDS [Money magazine editors]   
Ship staff   MAST   
Zenophile?   STOIC [followers of Zeno, not "xenophile," if there is such a word]   
Apple sites   ORCHARDS [kind of sensed it had nothing to do with computers]   
Little work for a gardener?   BONSAI [only the plant is little]   
Butler created by Mitchell   Rhett [thought it was a butler who's name I couldn't recall]   
Long range   ANDES [thought it was some missle program I never heard of]   
Royal pain?   PEA ["The Priness and the Pea" also known as my wife, except she's not a pain but is pained --- OK, TMI]   

BTW:   
ONZE and ICI are not in our lexicon.  I wonder if especially the French would allow English words in their Xwords.

Today is Washington's birthday, but I'm dismayed that our greatest American has lost his name day.  Sorry for the downer, but when I typed in the date I was struck with sadness --- and I'm not even particularly patriotic, at least not anymore.   

RATING: ;D ;D ;D   
Three grins = Loved it; Two grins = Enjoyed it; One grin = A bit bland for my taste; One teardrop = Not much fun   

Thomps2525

Re: Sun., 2/22 Alex Vratsanos
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2015, 04:23:40 PM »
Washington's birthday was combined with Lincoln's birthday (which was celebrated by only a few states) to create the Presidents Day holiday. Some states still acknowledge Washington's birthday. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lincoln's_Birthday

Veterans were outraged in 1971 when the Veterans Day holiday was moved from November 11 to the fourth Monday in October. In 1978 it returned to its original date.

Merl Reagle's Sunday Los Angeles Times crossword, published on the day of the 87th annual Academy Awards ceremony, had a theme of "Two Stars". Among the theme answers were these:

Comic actor + comic actress = ? CRYSTALBALL
Actress Lauren + star of West Side Story = ? HOLLYWOOD
Actor Jack + a Best Actress Oscar winner = ? BLACKBERRY