CRUCIVERB.COM

User

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Navigate

Resources

Donations

You can help support this site by making a small donation using either a PayPal account:

or with a major credit card such as:

Click here for details.

Author Topic: Thu., 2/19 Robert Fisher  (Read 3765 times)

magus

Thu., 2/19 Robert Fisher
« on: February 19, 2015, 09:13:21 AM »
THEME:   Computer terms translated

GOOD ONES:     
"Never heard of you," nowadays   INVALID USER NAME   
"You can't go there" followed by "No one can go there"   ACCESS DENIED and PAGE NOT FOUND   
One with degrees?   ANGLE [yes, I have degrees and I'm "a cute" one --- well I was when I was ten  ---  I'm told   ---  by my aunt]   

BTW:   
"Here," on Metro maps   ICI [I'd say DOT or ARROW since the Metro is in D.C.; Le Metro is in Paris (ici on parle francais)]      

RATING:    ;D ;D
Three grins = Loved it; Two grins = Enjoyed it; One grin = A bit bland for my taste; One teardrop = Not much fun   

Thomps2525

Re: Thu., 2/19 Robert Fisher
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2015, 05:54:52 PM »
Modern technology is gaining a foothold in the world of crosswords. (If that's a mixed metaphor, I apologize.) In addition to the terms used in today's Times puzzle, I've recently been seeing several text abbreviations in puzzles: BRB (be right back), IMO ("In my opinion"), IMHO ("In my humble opinion"), YOLO ("You only live once"---which, to be grammatically proper, should be "You live only once"), and LOL, which means "Laugh out loud" and which is unarguably the most overused expression in the world. I don't need to be told that something is funny. Adding "LOL" to a written message is like adding a laugh track to a television program. And many people affix the abbreviation to almost everything they write, even things that aren't the least bit funny, such as "I had pizza for breakfast, LOL" and "My dog got a haircut, LOL" and "I might build a snowman today, LOL." Arrggghh!

In response to comments from others, I'm restricting myself to making no more than one complaint per week. The above is the one for this week. Opposing viewpoints---if there are any---are welcomed.