CRUCIVERB.COM

User

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Navigate

Resources

Donations

You can help support this site by making a small donation using either a PayPal account:

or with a major credit card such as:

Click here for details.

Author Topic: Wed., 2/18 Jeff Stillman  (Read 4315 times)

magus

Wed., 2/18 Jeff Stillman
« on: February 18, 2015, 09:12:58 AM »
THEME:   phrases beginning with a synonym of HINT

GOOD ONES:     
Gets the unspoken message {& theme}   TAKES A HINT [two meanings of HINT: a little bit; clue]   
Recitals showing promise   OATHS [they are recited or spoken]   
Stable rides for kids   TRIKES [not ponies]   
Keep up on the issues?   RENEW   
Worker who gives people fits?   TAILOR   

BTW:   
Word with modern or cave   ART [about the same to me: modern art = atavistic]   

If all goes according to plan   AT BEST [yes, but I sense "tin earism" here]   

Hopping mad   HET UP [maybe, but I sense more tin]   

Frozen Wasser   EIS [don't know why there is a capital W, but whatever the case, German EIS is not used in our tongue]   

Good to see ACER is finally clued correctly.   

RATING:    ;D ;D
Three grins = Loved it; Two grins = Enjoyed it; One grin = A bit bland for my taste; One teardrop = Not much fun   

Thomps2525

Re: Wed., 2/18 Jeff Stillman
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2015, 04:46:24 PM »
My grandmother---my father's mother---was born in Cologne and she taught me some German words and phrases when I was a child. In the German language, all nouns are capitalized but I have no idea why. In English, we would write "The man drinks the water." In German, the sentence is “Der Mann trinkt das Wasser."

The crossword also included the abbreviation TNS. I checked the good ol' dictionary and "tn" is indeed an abbreviation of "ton." Why in the world do we need to have an abbreviation for a three-letter word? I can understand abbreviating "incorporated" or "department" or "Mister".....but why "ton"?

I is confused gain. I can't figure out the theme. How does TAKESAHINT relate to the long answers and what are the homophones that are referred to? TODLINCOLN includes a homophone of "link," which might be considered to be a type of hint...but I can not find any related homophones within the words COUGHDROP, PINCHHITTER and DASHAWAYALL. 

magus

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2015, 09:19:41 AM »
The way I saw it, cough can be a hint to remind someone of something and so can a pinchTad means a hint (little bit) of something (not Mary Todd Lincoln) and so can dash mean a hint.

Thomps2525

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2015, 05:42:48 PM »
Ah yes, I understand the theme now, thanks to Mister magus and one other person who explained it to me in a private message. I assume he wants to remain anonymous. I suppose a cough can sometimes be used as a verbal cue to someone...but speaking a word or two would be a lot less unsanitary. :)