CRUCIVERB.COM

User

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Navigate

Resources

Donations

You can help support this site by making a small donation using either a PayPal account:

or with a major credit card such as:

Click here for details.

Author Topic: Sat., 2/14 Brad Wilbur  (Read 4305 times)

magus

Sat., 2/14 Brad Wilbur
« on: February 14, 2015, 09:20:06 AM »
THEME:   none, but two triples and two doubles

GOOD ONES:    
One whose work is at an end?   INDEXER [I did that editing part time when in college, but I didn't think of it as a (dead) end job]   
Bad reception?  CABLE THEFT [I thought football]   
Small magazine inserts   BB'S [I thought zines not guns]   

BTW:   
JFK, but not LAX   DEM [I get it, but JFK was more than a Democrat, and it's hard for me to think of him as a mere pol]   

Why, aside from rhyme, is it called a NO TELL MOTEL when no motel or hotel "tells"?   

ELEVE in English is one N shy of a number, period.   

Winnings, eventually   POT [this confused me at first; I read it that the winnings became the POT]  :-[   

RATING: ;D ;D   
Three grins = Loved it; Two grins = Enjoyed it; One grin = A bit bland for my taste; One teardrop = Not much fun   

Thomps2525

Re: Sat., 2/14 Brad Wilbur
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2015, 06:35:07 PM »
I agree: the pot becomes the winnings, not the other way around. And "Soloist in Tchaikovsky's Swan's Theme" was OBOE. Really? An oboe can be a soloist? An oboist, certainly---but not an oboe.

How about a crossword where 1-across is the Star Wars character R2D2 and each theme answer contains two Rs and two Ds: DARTBOARD, DAYDREAMER, DEARPRUDENCE, DIRTROAD, DOGBREEDER, DRAFTBOARD, DRAWBRIDGE, DROMEDARY, GERALDFORD, HOTRODDER, REDBREASTED, THERIDDLER and  TRIEDANDTRUE. Such a crossword does not exist.....yet. I just came up with the idea. Who wants to try to construct the puzzle? And if you sell it to the New York Times for $10,000, I won't even ask for a share. I can come up with all kinds of clever ideas but I just can't construct the puzzles.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2015, 06:36:50 PM by LARadioRewind »

magus

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2015, 09:35:56 AM »
Don't know why you can't make the puzzle yourself as you have a clever theme.

And, if $10,000 were the pay for such a puzzle, I'd do it for you.  I think I got $300 for my last one in the 90's --- bc.

Thomps2525

« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2015, 01:50:29 PM »
Okay, make the puzzle, sell it for $10,000 and send me $300. I'm okay with that. :)

I've printed out a lot of grids---some blank and some with the black squares already in---and I've attempted many different crosswords. I can easily come up with 10-to-15-letter theme answers but I've never been able to finish a complete grid. I have no crossword-compiling software so I rely on my brainpower and I seldom can complete more than two-thirds of the grid. I wind up with fill words such as IBXT, EHRDI, TRFF and ORGL. Not good!