CRUCIVERB.COM

User

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Navigate

Resources

Donations

You can help support this site by making a small donation using either a PayPal account:

or with a major credit card such as:

Click here for details.

Author Topic: Mon., 2/2 Warren Stabler  (Read 4447 times)

magus

Mon., 2/2 Warren Stabler
« on: February 02, 2015, 09:03:26 AM »
THEME:   Ground Hog Day terms

GOOD ONES:     
February 2, every year   GROUND HOG DAY   

BTW:   
This is one of those puzzles more fun to construct than to solve because, despite its theme, it has been denuded of anything remotely clever.   

Clinton's instrument   SAX [that's not what I first thought (sorry)   :-[ ]   

Stoolie   FINK [obsolete slang: needs "once"]   

RATING:    ;D
Three grins = Loved it; Two grins = Enjoyed it; One grin = A bit bland for my taste; One teardrop = Not much fun   

Thomps2525

Re: Mon., 2/2 Warren Stabler
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2015, 04:18:36 PM »
Spoiler alert: Groundhogs probably pay no attention to their shadows and, regardless, the activities of groundhogs have absolutely no effect on weather patterns. With that in mind, I enjoyed seeing a crossword that included GROUNDHOGDAY, PUNKSUTAWNEY, PHIL, SHADOW, WINTER and SIXMOREWEEKS.

However, the crossword had 42 black squares---too many!---plus another set of Roman numerals and several overused Crosswordese words (AGE, ANTE, ERE, ESS, EYE, OLIO, URN). It also included SNOOKUMS, a nickname which is pretty much obsolete. In the 13th century, a "snoc" was a promontory. The word evolved into "snook" and somehow came to refer to the gesture of thumbing one's nose. In 19th-century Great Britain, "Snooks" began to be used in reference to an unknown person, the way "John Doe" is used in the United States. In 1904, George McManus created a comic strip called The Newlyweds which featured a baby named Snookums. (McManus would later create Bringing Up Father which featured Maggie & Jiggs.) In the 1940s, radio performer Fanny Brice played a character named Baby Snooks. SNOOKUMS may have been a cute word a hundred years ago but it does not belong in a crossword in 2015. That's my opinion and you can have it.

magus

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2015, 09:13:28 AM »
Snookums may be a shortening of snookie wookums which I seem to remember was a tongue-in-cheek term for dear one.

Thomps2525

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2015, 08:07:35 PM »
Leslie Nielsen and Priscilla Presley starred in three Naked Gun movies. In the third one, their characters called each other by several ridiculous names, such as "My little lover sparrow," "My puppy wuppy wuvver," "My little lady cheese puffy" and---yes---"My little snookie wookums." Here is an excerpt showing Frank (Leslie Nielsen) writing a letter to Snookie Wookums:

http://movieclips.com/KovEb-naked-gun-33-13-the-final-insult-movie-snookie-wookums/