CRUCIVERB.COM

User

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Navigate

Resources

Donations

You can help support this site by making a small donation using either a PayPal account:

or with a major credit card such as:

Click here for details.

Author Topic: Common Crosswordese, Continued  (Read 5590 times)

Thomps2525

Common Crosswordese, Continued
« on: January 31, 2015, 02:13:57 PM »
In August 2014, I began a first-of-its kind project...and I did it with no government funding! I was getting frustrated by the lack of creativity and originality in crossword-puzzle "fill." Puzzle makers kept using the same few Crosswordese words---common three- and four-letter words, most of which begin with a vowel. Combined, the Register, Daily News, Los Angeles Times and Glendale News-Press had six different daily crosswords and I kept count of the answers for 30 days in order to determine which words appeared most frequently in crosswords. I posted the results at http://www.cruciverb.com/index.php?topic=105973.0 ---go look! The three most common words were ALE, IRA and ORE.

In January 2015, I did another month-long study. The Register was a Los Angeles version of the Orange County Register and ceased publication after only five months. This time around, I had five daily puzzles instead of six. And this time around, ALE is once again the most-used word.

17 - ALE
13 - ODE, ORE, USE
11 - EPEE
9 - ERA, EMU, OREO, SEA, URN
8 - ASP, EDEN, EEL, ERR, LEI, NEE
7 - ASEA, EGO, ELI, ERE, ETA, ETE, IRA, SPA, UTE
6 - AHA, ARENA, ATE, ELS, END, ERIE, ESS, ETA, EVE, EWE, IRE, OGLE, ORAL, ORCA, ORO
5 - ABET, ADO, AGE, ALEE, AMEN, APE, AREA, EAT, ECRU, EERIE, EKE, LEER, OAF, OAK, OAR, OBOE, OLEO, UKE

Among the 100 other most-used words are ALI, ALOE, ALOHA, AURA, ELM, EURO, OAT, OBI, ODIE, OGRE, OLE, ONO, OTT, OPIE, SNL and SST.

Anyone who can construct a crossword without using any of those words, as Merl Reagle did one time last year, deserves our undying admiration!

Thomps2525

Re: Common Crosswordese, Continued
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2015, 04:09:37 PM »
EMU is one of the ten most common words appearing in crossword puzzles...and I discovered that its overuse goes back much farther than I thought. Fantagraphics is reprinting all the Mickey Mouse comic strips in chronological order. The latest volume, #6, includes the strip from August 22, 1940, part of a sequence that features Mickey trying to win a contest at a theatre. The MC asks him, "Is an emu a bird, fish or a musical instrument?" Mickey replies, "It's a bird, sorta like an ostrich." The MC says, "Quite correct. And where is it found?" The audience laughs at Mickey's answer: "In crossword puzzles." There ya go!