Forum > Today's Puzzles

Mon., 1/19 Gareth Bain

(1/2) > >>

magus:
THEME:   ?

I have no idea if there is a theme; there are certainly no interesting entries.  Perhaps a theme exists, but if so it is in deep cover.  That is why the LAT should offer titles for puzzles as they do on Sunday.  As it stands, I've moved on with my day's work.   

RATING: :'(   
Three grins = Loved it; Two grins = Enjoyed it; One grin = A bit bland for my taste; One teardrop = Not much fun   

Thomps2525:
Yes, Virginia, there is a Puzzle Theme. (Sorry---I couldn't resist.) One answer was the United Nations' GENERALASSEMBLY. The word GENERAL can precede the first words of MILLSBROTHERS, HOSPITALCORNERS and INTERESTGROUP to form new phrases.

My one complaint: "Happy sign for a realtor" is SOLD. The realtor is happy when she sells a property...but how can the "SOLD" sign be happy? (I have a similar complaint when food is referred to as "healthy" instead of "healthful.")

pattybee:
Ah, thanks for the explanation.  :D

Thomps2525:
How many people under the age of 50 are familiar with the Mills Brothers? How many people other than soldiers know what "hospital corners" are? And INTERESTGROUP is two-thirds of the phrase "special interest group." The clues probably made sense only to Army veterans in their 70s...and even they would probably be unfamiliar with RIEL, a Cambodian currency. I can understand Mister magus's one-teardrop rating for this puzzle.

magus:
My dear Virginia, I have been given access to each LAT puzzle along with the answers --- a courtesy for those writing about their publications.  I never look at them because I want the solving process to be fun and my comments to be honest.  So in the spirit of honesty, how did you determine the theme, and if you did not get it from another source, how long did it take you to figure out?  And if you spent more than 20 seconds on it, was it worth the time?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version