CRUCIVERB.COM

User

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Navigate

Resources

Donations

You can help support this site by making a small donation using either a PayPal account:

or with a major credit card such as:

Click here for details.

Author Topic: Thu., 12/18 Ed Sessa  (Read 3643 times)

magus

Thu., 12/18 Ed Sessa
« on: December 18, 2014, 08:34:02 AM »
THEME:   long phrases ending in UP

GOOD ONES:     
What sports stats are usually shown in {& theme}   DESCENDING ORDER   
Hard-to-do dos   MOPS [mop is usually unruly hair, and dos means hairdos (an apostrophe may be needed to pluralize do)]   

BTW:   
Pizza topping   ONION [in that "anything" can, and is, used to top a pizza crust, but no self-respecting pizza allows onions on itself]

Freedom, in Swahili   UHURU [wonder what's Sanskrit for ridiculous]   

RATING:    ;D
Three grins = Loved it; Two grins = Enjoyed it; One grin = A bit bland for my taste; One teardrop = Not much fun   

Thomps2525

Re: Thu., 12/18 Ed Sessa
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2014, 02:23:48 PM »
Mister Magus, I aim to please. The Sanskrit word for "ridiculous" is अभिहस्य, pronounced as "ab-hi-ha-sy-ah."

Three long vertical answers ended with UP but I don't understand the "descending order" theme. All vertical answers can be said to be in descending order. Today's puzzle is the second this week to include SHIITE. It also includes NINO, which is misspelled; the word is NIÑO. The grid has 42 black squares, which I consider to be too many. The large number of black squares today means there are shorter words and more Crosswordese: APE, AYE, ELM, ERG, ERN, NEE, ODE...and is AREAR even a word? And ELHI, referring to elementary school and high school, is a word I have never seen outside of crosswords. Today's puzzle is a rarity in that the design is non-symmetrical.

"Shout before Silver" was HIYO. Earle Graser played the Lone Ranger on radio from 1933 to 1941. His cry was "Hi-ho, Silver!" Following Graser's death, Brace Beemer took over the role and continued until the series' end in 1954. Beemer's cry was "Hi-yo, Silver!" Many of us purists prefer "Hi-ho" to "Hi-yo."