CRUCIVERB.COM

User

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Navigate

Resources

Donations

You can help support this site by making a small donation using either a PayPal account:

or with a major credit card such as:

Click here for details.

Author Topic: Thu., 12/11 Ian Livengood  (Read 3929 times)

magus

Thu., 12/11 Ian Livengood
« on: December 11, 2014, 08:46:22 AM »
THEME:   THINGS is separated by the middle of random phrases

GOOD ONES:    
…Chinua Achebe novel {& theme}   THINGS FALL APART   
Verb for one   NOUN   
Outback order   RARE [I thought something like G'day]   

BTW:   
Girl With a Pearl Earring is also a fine movie.   

Plate appearance   AT BAT [wonder why the word "at" is used when "bats" would be simpler --- but tradition in baseball is part of what I like about the game.]   

Boot option   STEEL TIP [I blithely filled in STEEL TOE since my boots have them --- good for handling lumber and sawing trees]   

Binding promise   I DO [Really?  50% of those promises are not kept so binding may be a bit overstated.]   

RATING:    ;D ;D
Three grins = Loved it; Two grins = Enjoyed it; One grin = A bit bland for my taste; One teardrop = Not much fun   

Thomps2525

Re: Thu., 12/11 Ian Livengood
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2014, 01:44:32 PM »
A clever theme today...but 40 black squares! Too many! And "Magi" was THREEKINGS. A few weeks ago I commented on a "Three Kings" reference in a puzzle. The Bible says that wise men from the East brought three gifts to the Christ child. We don't know how many kings there were, only that there were at least two. Many eastern religions teach that there were seven.

And now, class, let's discuss that "binding promise." For several decades, many people have thought that the divorce rate is 50%. It's closer to 10%. In many years, the number of divorces was equal to half the number of marriages and some people misinterpreted those numbers to mean that half of all marriages end in divorce. The people who got divorced in a particular year did not all get married in a single year. On good ol' Wikipedia there is a chart showing several years of divorce rates by state. The statistics are based on a percentage of population. Nevada's numbers are close to 100% because so many people from other states go to Nevada to get a quickie divorce. Let me ask all the people who think the divorce rate is 50%: Are 50% of your friends divorced? Yeah, see? I rest my case.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Divorce_in_the_United_States

magus

« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2014, 09:01:54 AM »
Rewind---

Good thing you're not a statistician.

Thomps2525

« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2014, 04:38:34 PM »
Statistics can be interpreted in many different ways. For example, if you and I competed against each other in a foot race and you beat me, I would be statistically correct in saying that I finished in second place and you came in next to last. :)

magus

« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2014, 09:17:30 AM »
Good thing you're not a statistician.