CRUCIVERB.COM

User

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Navigate

Resources

Donations

You can help support this site by making a small donation using either a PayPal account:

or with a major credit card such as:

Click here for details.

Author Topic: Sat. 11/22 Brad Wilber  (Read 3499 times)

magus

Sat. 11/22 Brad Wilber
« on: November 22, 2014, 09:32:47 AM »
THEME:   none, but 27 blocks

GOOD ONES:    
Right-leaning type?: Abbr.   ITALS [note singular "type"]   
Drivers can be seen in them   GOLF BAGS   

BTW:   
Wimbleton five-peater   BORG [yes, he was phenomenal --- five times on grass!  But I never understood the term "three-peat" meaning to win three (usually in a row), playing off the term "repeat."  The way I see things, it should be "two-peat" since the initial win was twice repeated.]   

RATING:    ;D ;D
Three grins = Loved it; Two grins = Enjoyed it; One grin = A bit bland for my taste; One teardrop = Not much fun   

Thomps2525

Re: Sat. 11/22 Brad Wilber
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2014, 03:29:03 PM »
"Professor Magus, I'd like to present my research on today's crossword."

"All right, Steve, but I would hope that you won't make your usual complaint about Roman numerals."

"Well, um....Okay. I'll leave that part out. Today's puzzle had only 27 black squares. That was good. That meant that the puzzle contained 198 letters. There were 30 E's, 25 A's, 19 R's, 15 S's and 12 I's. Those five letters comprised more than half of the fillable grid. Today's crossword is typical. Puzzle creators rely too much on words with common letters. They should challenge themselves to use more words with a J, X, Q or Z. In Scrabble, those are the letters with the highest point value. If crosswords were Scrabble games, these guys would never win! They play RETREAT for seven points? Okay, I play JAZZ for 29 points! I want to see more creativity in crosswords and not so many of the most common letters. Ummm...you really won't let me mention the Roman numerals? No? All right, I'm finished."