CRUCIVERB.COM

User

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Navigate

Resources

Donations

You can help support this site by making a small donation using either a PayPal account:

or with a major credit card such as:

Click here for details.

Author Topic: Tue., 11/18 Marti DuGuay-Carpenter  (Read 4052 times)

magus

Tue., 11/18 Marti DuGuay-Carpenter
« on: November 18, 2014, 08:47:48 AM »
THEME:   S,H,O,T separated by an ordinary phrase

GOOD ONES:     
Short change?   OUTSIDE SHOT [the word SHOT is broken up such that it is on the "outside" of the phrase]   

BTW:   
As MAI clued as a French month is inappropriate, I'd go with the actress.   

RATING:    ;D
Three grins = Loved it; Two grins = Enjoyed it; One grin = A bit bland for my taste; One teardrop = Not much fun   

Thomps2525

Re: Tue., 11/18 Marti DuGuay-Carpenter
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2014, 03:50:26 PM »
Crosswords often include ERIE or EERIE but today's is the first one I've seen with both words. The puzzle also has 42 black squares---too many!---and four foreign words (BON, EAU, LOO, MAI).

As magus noted, the beginning and ending letters of the three theme answers spell SHOT. The answer that conveys the theme is OUTSIDESHOT. "Outside chance" is a common phrase. "Long shot" is a common phrase. "Outside shot" is not. That's the title of a book by Keith O'Brien about a Kentucky high-school basketball team but I've never heard any basketball announcer use the phrase. I don't think I've ever heard anyone use the phrase.

magus

Re: Tue., 11/18 Marti DuGuay-Carpenter
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2014, 09:36:54 AM »
Outside shot is used by sports writers and commentators.  I used with the other kids in Brooklyn, and I have an outside shot of using once more before I shuffle off this mortal coil.