CRUCIVERB.COM

User

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Navigate

Resources

Donations

You can help support this site by making a small donation using either a PayPal account:

or with a major credit card such as:

Click here for details.

Author Topic: Tue., 11/11 Pam Amick Klawitter  (Read 3919 times)

magus

Tue., 11/11 Pam Amick Klawitter
« on: November 11, 2014, 09:04:28 AM »
THEME:   last word of a phrase is a kind of ZONE

GOOD ONES:    
One of two gridiron borders {& theme}   ENDZONE [and it's centered on the grid]   
Show stopper   ACTORS STRIKE   
Single-master   SLOOP [note hyphen]   

BTW:   
EENSY-weensy in my sphere was TEENSY-weensy --- wonder if it's geographic. [sounds like a doctoral dissertation to me]    8)

MAGI, WISEMAN, and STAR --- I'd say it was a good day for me.   

Don't forget 11/11 at 11.   

RATING:    ;D ;D
Three grins = Loved it; Two grins = Enjoyed it; One grin = A bit bland for my taste; One teardrop = Not much fun   

Thomps2525

Re: Tue., 11/11 Pam Amick Klawitter
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2014, 01:39:30 PM »
Yep, "Show stopper" was the clue for ACTORSSTRIKE---one of the best clue/answer pairs that I've ever seen. But MAGI was clued with "Gift-bearing trio." The Magi brought three gifts to the newborn Christ child but Scripture does not give the number of Magi. In the second chapter of Matthew, the Greek word "μάγοι" is used. The word refers to Zoroastrian astrologers. (In Matthew's time, astrology was considered a science.) In English-language versions of the Bible, "μάγοι" is usually translated as "wise men."  The plural word tells us that there were at least two Magi who brought gifts to Jesus. Some religions say there were as many as 12. The exact number is unknown.

And while I'm here.....A heartfelt thank-you to all the veterans and all the men and women of the Armed Forces who fight to keep our nation free! Let us never forget them.